What's new

Normal VPN Life?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Joe87t

Occasional Visitor
Device: Asus AC-68
*Running latest Merlin Firmware
*Overclocked to 1200mhz w/ active cooling

VPN Service: ExpressVPN via OpenVPN
ISP Service: 250mbps Download

*Speed over WiFi, No VPN = 250 - 260mbps

*Speed over WiFi + VPN Enabled w/ PC client = 80-100 Mbps

*Speed over WiFi + VPN Enabled on Router Itself w/ OpenVPN = 20 MBPS

Going from a 250 Meg pipe to a 20 Meg circuit is a little steep, right ? Even going from 100 to 20 seems a little excessive.

Is there anything I can do here, or is this just par for the course with a router solution?

I had thought about upgrading my home internet to 1 gig, but if I'm only going to get around 20 no matter what real speed I have, then there's no real point

Is there anything I can do here, or is this just par for the course with a router solution?

This is what you can expect out of these older low-power CPUs. Maybe see if they offer alternate servers with a lighter cipher strength (AES-128-CBC is more than enough for home users, and will be much faster than AES-256-CBC).

Alright thank you.

I thought about upgrading to an AC88 or AC86 but I think those may be somewhat underwhelming as well.

My next move may realistically be one of the Mesh systems from Google or similiar versus one high powered unit

In the interim ill remove it from the router itself and use it OnDemand via an app / client on the end device

The RT-AC86U can reach around 200-250 Mbps with OpenVPN thanks to hardware support in its CPU for AES encryption.

Reactions: Sky
My old 68U would do 50 Mbps using AES-128-CBC on PIA. And I can confirm as RMerlin stated that the 86U will do 250 Mbps when used as a vpn client.