Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Featured Norton Core Router Reviewed

Discussion in 'Wireless Article Discussions' started by thiggins, Oct 4, 2017.

1. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

mike2h and TheLostSwede like this.
  2. pete y testing

pete y testing Very Senior Member

thanks for the review time , im not surprised ,(removed) , as with IPS on other manufacturer /models the norton core just kills throughput , surely they cant be happy with those results and why would they even release it with such poor throughput and such poor wifi coverage esp from a 4 x 4 wave 2 ac router

i guess it competition may be the asus blue cave slated some time ago at ces , will have to wait and see how it stacks up

the norton core might have that WAF but without the grunt to keep DAF its just another also ran

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  3. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede Regular Contributor

Sorry, but what does a Symantec product have to do with Synology??

And why would the blue cave from Asus be a competitor, it doesn't have any special security features as far as I've seen. It has some basic Trend Micro software, but so does a bunch of other Asus routers - https://www.asus.com/aiprotection/

4. pete y testing

lol soz it was late , my apologies , but tim is right in its just another try hard in a market over flowing with great routers already

as far as i know it doesnt have the bog standard aiprotect , it has the newer upgrade the adresses IoT , just like the lyra and brt-ac828 currently have

[​IMG]

the norton core security features look about the same , the big thing with asus is you dont have to pay for that

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  5. sm00thpapa

sm00thpapa Very Senior Member

Looks like an Engram from Destiny. Pretty cool looking.

6. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

So if you misconfigured or need to change your PPPoE credentials, how can you do it?

EDIT: Just saw that only DHCP and Static IPs are supported? Uh...

7. pete y testing

lol prob have to factory reset

8. evil_mike

evil_mike Occasional Visitor

I picked one of these up to test almost immediately after they were released, mainly because I was curious what the final product would look like. I worked for Symantec for a while and had friends in the beta program who gave it less-than-glowing reviews during beta. Unfortunately, my experience mirrors that of the review, and it wound up getting returned. I think the team behind the Core had good intentions, but their inexperience definitely shows with what they put out. I wish they would have partnered with someone like Netgear or Asus (i.e. a company with years of experience in this market) to bring Symantec's security engine onto their hardware platform.

The other issue I experienced was that one of my ethernet cables got stuck in the port because the space is SO SMALL. It took like 20 minutes for me to coax it out, which was extremely frustrating.

9. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

The odd thing is that Asus did work with Norton's engine a few years back. There are still a few traces of it in the firmware code. They eventually ditched it, and went with the Trend Micro engine, which I must say works very well, so it's possible that Asus evaluated both, and ultimately chose the TM one.