1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Not able to access router login with MS EDGE

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by zenmota, Jan 12, 2019.

1. zenmota

zenmota Occasional Visitor

First let me say this probably has nothing to do with the router I have (ASUS RT-AC86U) or Merlin's firmware. I am only asking it here because there is a lot of people here that would probably know about this kind of thing and I probably will get a fast response.

I can no longer access my router login page (you know, usually it's 192.168.1.1) using Microsoft Edge. I also can not access my NAS when typing in the address for it with Edge. However, I can access both my router login and NAS using Microsoft Internet Explorer.

I have tried everything I can think of and searched for but nothing fixs the problem with EDGE. I even got an old Linksys router I have and just hooked it up to my computer (no cable modem, just a network cable to the linksys router) and still the same problem.

My brother tried the same thing on his computer with the Linksys router he has and same thing, can access router loin with IE, but not with MS Edge.

Otherwise, Edge works fine. I can go to any webpage, in fact I using Edge to post this message.

When I type in the router address in the address bar (192.168.1.1), it kind of acts like it's trying to go there, then just stays on the webpage I was on (if that makes any sense).

Best I can remember it was working fine yesterday (Edge able to access the router) and looking at my Windows update history, I haven't had any Windows updates since Tuesday (1-8-19).

This is Windows 10 Pro with all updates (build 1809 17763.253).

So I just wanted to know if anyone else was having the same problem and if so, what is causing it?

Thank you for your time.....

2. ApexRon

ApexRon Senior Member

It goes without saying, Edge is the issue. In my opinion, the best web browser that supports multiple platforms is Firefox. IE (internet explorer) I believe has fallen by the wayside from a Microsoft perspective. Chrome has too many vulnerabilities. Safari works great for me on my MacBook.

Please install Firefox and advise. I'll bet it works.

dave14305 likes this.
  3. skeal

skeal Part of the Furniture

You could try resetting edge to defaults, but back it up first.

4. zenmota

I kind of figure Edge or some Windows update is the problem. Was just mostly wanting to see if anyone else was having the same problem (not able to access router with Edge).

Thanks....

5. zenmota

I already tried resetting Edge. Didn't fix problem. Was just mostly wanting to see if anyone else was having the same problem (not able to access router with Edge).

Thanks....

6. preacher65

preacher65 Regular Contributor

Just tried it and I get the same thing, so you're not the only one.

7. skeal

skeal Part of the Furniture

I'm using edge on my phone. Android. Works fine.

8. preacher65

Just tested and it works on Edge/Android here too, just the PC doesn't work. Weird. I don't normally use Edge at home so don't think I'd tried it before.

9. zenmota

OK, seems it was that last Cumulative Update that screwed it up. Here is what I did to fix the problem:

I uninstalled Cumulative Update KB4480116. Somehow in the process of uninstalling KB4480116 and rebooting, Windows downloaded and installed or reinstalled Update KB4483235. So after the reboot Edge was able to access the router OK. I then had Windows check for Updates and found and installed KB4480116 (the one that just got uninstalled). So after the reboot, Edge is still able to access the router and my NAS.

Just Windows, go figure.

Thanks.....

preacher65 likes this.
  10. preacher65

And yet KB4480116 is supposed to supercede KB4483235. Thanks for the heads up on the fix, always useful to know. I'm going to try to remediate it here just in case it affects any work sites.

Edit: Same here - after uninstalling KB4480116 (which was installed on the 9th) KB4483235 is shown as being installed today, without running a fresh update. KB4480116 has downloaded again and re-installed and it all still works after a reboot. Oh well, at least when we inevitably get issues with this update at work I'll know the fix. ;)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  11. Gar

Gar Regular Contributor

If it's an 86u have you tried 192.168.50.1 to login? That was default on mine.

12. zenmota

Yeah, not sure if the KB4483235 update needed to be installed to fix the problem or if just reinstalling KB4480116 fix the problem. Anyway, glad the fix worked for you. Hopefully it will continue to work.

13. zenmota

Yes, I believe 192.168.50.1 is the default address for the 86u. I changed mine to 192.168.1.1. That seems to be the default for most routers and easier to remember. Also, I have some stuff like network printer that had a 192.168.1.xx set when I had another router and didn't want to mess with changing all that.

14. EventPhotoMan

EventPhotoMan Senior Member

Did it ever work with edge? If so, restore point.

15. zenmota

Yes it did. I posted here what I did to fix the problem (a few messages up).

Thanks....