What's new

Not sure whether to DIY or Synology DS412+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DFischer

New Around Here
I'm really having an issue with this. It's between cost and reality of performance.

Reliability:
I'm tech savvy enough to build my own NAS box. I love "shirt that just works" but I also am happy making my rigs work. With a NAS, reliability is important. Anything I build I'd hope that it's reliable. I'm not sure how relaibility is a factor on prebuilt vs DIY.

Price:
Buying a DS412+ is $650 on its own. Add drives and it's another $400ish. ~$1300 total.

What I was thinking of doing with the DS412+:
I was wanting to use the NAS mainly as storage with 2 drive fault tolerance using Synology Hybrid Raid. I'd then use CrashPlan to back-up everything off-site.

Secondly I wanted to use the DS412+ as a media server to Windows, OSX, iOS devices. It would be nice to stream videos, music to iTunes, and so on.

Then the usual torrent server, etc. Synology's OS seems to have great support for all this. It just seems pricey.

Conclusion:
Would should I do? Just buy the Synology and go for it, or at that point is that a lot of wasted money and I could get a lot more for less? Including the features I want and reliability?

If you do recommend me a DIY, can you help me with parts? I have *no* idea what type of case to buy. I've only worked with large tower cases, never anything small.

Thanks.