What's new

not sure why but devices are loosing connection and can't get it back

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sparks

Occasional Visitor
Since 380.69.2 things like wired roku and wireless amazon firestick are being dropped from the network and after being dropped can not find the network except by a hard reset.
Today on 384.3 beta 1...yes I have not upgraded yet, my windows media center was dropped and when disconnecting the network adapter and enabling it did find the network and reconnect.
What is causing all this disconnecting? The lease time is default.
I have tried assigning ip around dhcp and assigning static ip but it is still dropped and can not reconnect without a hard reset.
Does anyone know what I need to do, I am no expert.

Wireless problems are almost impossible to diagnose because of all the variables. However, you say you have the same problem with your wired Roku which would eliminate all potential wireless issues. So concentrate on getting the Roku to work.

What do you mean exactly when you say the Roku is "dropped" from the network. Can you see anything in the router's syslog at the time this happens?

anywhere from 8 hrs to a day after connecting to the network the roku will disappear from the client list.
Going to the Roku and its off the network, in the roku settings trying to reconnect to the network does nothing.
Only by power reboot will it reconnect to the network.

I thought it was only the roku and it was some quirk, then the firestick was being dropped and could not find the network except by a reboot.

Then today with the media center computer losing network I was blown away.

Just to clarify: when you say “power reboot”, that’s a reboot of the router, not the Roku?

I would suggest to reset it to factory setting/clean delete nvram my roku and others devices are working good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

I can not get them to reconnect to the network, the roku is plugged into the router port 3 and it has to be reset to get it to connect to the network.
I have taken the roku and the firestick and reinstalled the software and used there settings to do a factory restore and it made no difference.

What Asus router do you have?

Apart from the Asus router what other routers, switches, access points, powerline adapters, etc. do you have connected to your network.

When you try to reconnect the Roku to the network what messages does it show? Is there an error message?

Check that you don't have another DHCP server on your network

This might sound stupid. Besides physically knowing there are two routers on the network, and that both of them might be acting as DHCP server, is there any other way detect where DHCP assignments are coming from.

This might sound stupid. Besides physically knowing there are two routers on the network, and that both of them might be acting as DHCP server, is there any other way detect where DHCP assignments are coming from.
Packet sniffing the broadcast traffic. All DHCP servers should respond to the discover packet even if the client only uses the first answer it receives.

I should have stated this is an ac3100 router.
The roku goes thru a switch (trendnet teg /s8) along with the media center before going to the router.
The firestick is using the 5g wi fi network to the router OR thru a tp-link extender. It doesn't seem to matter.
What I do not understand that once they drop the units just time out trying to find the network, no error just go back to no network status.
As stated before before 380.69.2 they never dropped. So I do not know if they could or could not find the network.

I had this before on an AC68u and a Roku 2, long story short it stopped doing it after I turned off roaming assistant in the router, wireless, professional settings on the Wireless band that the Roku was connected to, never happened since, might not be your issue but worth a try.

I replaced the router with an OLD Netgear N600 router and after 20 hours nothing has lost connect.
I am going to keep testing but right now its either the router or the firmware on the Asus that is having problems.

I had problems with 380.69 , upgraded to 384.3 beta 3 and after a factory reset and 2 reboots all is well , this on an AC 3200 . Have no idea what happened but once dropped connections would have a hard time reconnecting or would not reconnect . The upgrade fixed all

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!