What's new

Notify of Admin login or Failed Login?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

David Wolfe

Occasional Visitor
Is there a way to send an email when there is an admin login on the Merlin firmware? I'd also like to know where there is a failed login attempt on my router since I have it exposed to the Internet. I've check the forum here and can't seem to find a similar post.

Thanks

David from Fishers

Is there a way to send an email when there is an admin login on the Merlin firmware? I'd also like to know where there is a failed login attempt on my router since I have it exposed to the Internet. I've check the forum here and can't seem to find a similar post.

Thanks

David from Fishers

There isn't a way. Also exposing the login to WAN is a terrible idea, only just recently large amounts of routers were compromised from people doing just that.

Having your router exposed to the internet is just asking for trouble see multiple posts about people having their routers taken over, plus why wouldn't you be more concerned about successful logins that don't belong to you? If you need to remote access your router you should be using the VPN server.

Ok. Fair enough.

I have VPN set up now - both OpenVPN and IPsec. I am able to make a connection on both protocols from an iOS device which is only connected to a cellular network. WAN admin access is disabled. The iOS admin app will not connect to the router. I can however connect to the local router IP with a web browser on the iOS device when connected with VPN (either protocol). So, the firewall is not interfering. I can get to the router with a browser but not the admin app.

I can also access other local resources on my internal network like file shares and FTP services so the VPN connection seems to be working well.

What might be causing that?

-David

I think it's a bug in the iOS App. Was only able to successfully connect to the router over the VPN after unlinking it from the app and adding it while connected to the VPN, but seems to fail afterwards.