What's new

Novice wandering into WiMAX

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

VicLaw

New Around Here
Because of spotty wireless performance when surfing while music is streaming and planning for future video I have just finishing pulling Cat 6 cable through the house. I was also was thinking of buying the Netgear WNDR 3700 but would be grateful for any recommendations.

I am a AT&T DSL subscriber using the gov issued 2Wire 2701HG B wireless router. I have not seen any tests on the 2Wire so I don’t know if I can expect performance improvement through equipment change. As a novice my question is what should I change modem, router or both?

What really prompts me to write is that I’m in Chicago and today I saw WiMAX by CLEAR.com, they claim higher throughput for less money. The service is only available in about 25 cities so does anyone here have any experience with this company or technology?

If the service is good what router is recommended to handle 6 Mbps and bursts over 10 Mbps?

Thaks for any help and I hpoe I posted this in the correct section.

Depends on what you mean by "spotty" performance. Can you provide more details?

Why would you want wireless Internet vs DSL?

Occasionally I have dropouts when wireless music is streaming to the iPod Touch it is more prevalent when I’m logged on the internet. I don’t understand why this is a problem because the modem is upstairs no more than 30 ft away (one wall and floor construction between them). After I rewire the modem will be in the basement directly below the entertainment unit.

As to the WiMax, the consideration is purely economic. Currently I’m paying about $130/mo for phone, DSL, and mobile (without data that would be $20 more). CLEAR offers the same services including mobile data for $75/mo. Good deal if it works as advertised.

Music streaming doesn't require much bandwidth (100s of KB/s). But dropouts can be caused by lots of things. Could be interference from neighboring networks, cordless phones or microwaves.

But you say that you get the dropouts when you are "logged on" to the Internet? What else are you doing while you're streaming? Torrent downloads or other things that can suck up a lot of bandwidth?

Re CLEAR: Yes, great deal if it works. But again, don't expect wireless performance to equal wired. You'll probably see a LOT of throughput variability and your average speed won't be anywhere near what they are advertising.

Sorry for my slow response but while installing the wires I lacerated and broke a finger with the drill.

I hear what your saying - I know I live RF hell (poor AM signals and terrible cell reception). I ran Network Stumbler and found 6 wireless signals, changed my channel. However, Stumbler does not see portable phones or other devices so I'm finally going the hard wire route and life should be good if I don't kill myself:D

I'm still wondering about my 2Wire equipment. Would I be better off with a different DSL modem or router? Has anyone seen test results for the 2701HG or other 2Wire devices?

Clear is constructing a store 2 blocks from me, when open I'll limp over and see how they perform. I agree with you. Being a old timer I am skeptical and find it hard to expect robust service and reliability from wireless (given my experience with spotty cell phone service). But it would be great to save 50% from my AT&T bill each month so I'm still hoping that someone in this forum uses or used the service.

Thank You for the help and Happy Holidays to All.

Sorry that you got hurt. Hope you're healing ok.

2Wire is distributed via service providers only. I know of no tests results for it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!