What's new

Now that Apple has dropped support for PPTP VPN....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bob Carroll

New Around Here
Folks,

Just looking for a bit of advice as to the easiest way to reconfigure things. I have two homes, one in the US and one overseas. Had been using an Asus RTAC66u router set up as a VPN server to share the internet connection from the US (I have no need really to access the internal network via VPN.) Now that IOS 10 no longer supports PPTP, the wife cannot VPN in with her iPad. So I am looking for a simple new solution; I could replace the router but would prefer not to. Also would prefer not to have to leave a computer up all the time if I can avoid that. Suggestions? Maybe something like a d-link DSR-250? The goal is to do this with the minimum of screwing around...TIA for your thoughts!

IOS 10 should support Openvpn unless Apple craped all over that too so just change from PPTP to Openvpn and it should all work out fine no need to buy a D-Link

Swetoast thanks - I am not able to access my RTAS66u at this moment; does it support OpenVPN as a server or just as a client?

As a server and client

RMerlin Firmware does, think AsusWRT does too out of the box

Screenshot_2016-10-02_09-29-30.png

Ok thanks... reports seem to say that there have been a few issues with openVPN and the IOS 10 beta, and sometimes the app needs to be reinstalled after the upgrade, but it should work. So will give that a shot as soon as I can reconfigure my router.

Last edited:
its easy to setup, not alot of config so it wont take that long to do :) not like what im doing at the moment and setting it up from scratch on a small device :) with harsh encryption and custom scripts :D

Hi,
I'm trying to setup an openvpn connection om my ASUS RT-AC87U router with the settings as seen below. I've just updated my ipad to iOS 10 and when I try to connect to the openvpn i get the below error message X509 The CRT/CRL/CSR format is invalid. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong, I'm basically just using the default settings on OpenVpn on the router?
Any help appreciated :)

upload_2016-10-2_21-11-58.png

upload_2016-10-2_21-11-12.png

Hi,
I'm trying to setup an openvpn connection om my ASUS RT-AC87U router with the settings as seen below. I've just updated my ipad to iOS 10 and when I try to connect to the openvpn i get the below error message X509 The CRT/CRL/CSR format is invalid. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong, I'm basically just using the default settings on OpenVpn on the router?
Any help appreciated :)

View attachment 7374

View attachment 7373
http://www.asus.com/support/Knowledge-Detail/11/2/RTAC68U/37EC8F08-3F50-4F82-807E-6D2DCFE5146A/

this may help as well in setup of a VPN server with asus routers
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/how-to-setup-a-vpn-server-with-asus-routers.33638/

Thanks for your answer. I tried to setup the router as you show in the link above but I still get the "X509 The CRT/CRL/CSR format is invalid" as soon as I try to connect. Anyone who have an example of how the openvpn file could look like. I think there is something wrong with the formatting of the file that I export from my Asus router?
Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your answer. I tried to setup the router as you show in the link above but I still get the "X509 The CRT/CRL/CSR format is invalid" as soon as I try to connect. Anyone who have an example of how the openvpn file could look like. I think there is something wrong with the formatting of the file that I export from my Asus router?
Thanks in advance.
I doubt that. There is something wrong with your configuration.
Follow that guide I gave you and start it all over again.
There should be no issues with Iphones connecting. its the first I hear of it.

I've used yorgi's guide and have been able to connect via OpenVPN with iPhone with no issues at all. Very much appreciated the guide, thanks yorgi!

This is how the client.opvn file looks like when I export it from my ASUS RT-AC87U. To me it looks like the settings are written without spaces between the different settings. Could that be why my ipad (and android phone) fails to read the file and comes out with the "X509 The CRT/CRL/CSR format is invalid" error?

upload_2016-10-4_17-48-24.png

This is how the client.opvn file looks like when I export it from my ASUS RT-AC87U. To me it looks like the settings are written without spaces between the different settings. Could that be why my ipad (and android phone) fails to read the file and comes out with the "X509 The CRT/CRL/CSR format is invalid" error?
That's probably just a Windows Notepad issue; I see the same with mine, while it's fine in an advanced editor like Sublime Text.

Do you really use "[my DDNS]" as hostname (value "[my DDNS].asuscomm.com" for key "remote")?

Also, I think the "<cert> paste client certificate data here</cert>" may be the cause of the error message (same for <key>).

That's probably just a Windows Notepad issue; I see the same with mine, while it's fine in an advanced editor like Sublime Text.

Do you really use "[my DDNS]" as hostname (value "[my DDNS].asuscomm.com" for key "remote")?

Also, I think the "<cert> paste client certificate data here</cert>" may be the cause of the error message (same for <key>).

Hi,
You are probably Right that formatting is a notepad issue.
Yes I use the ddns name that I get from my asus router, that part should be fine I guess (works for pptp vpn).
What is values are supposed to be pasted into the the "paste client certificate data" tag?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think "[my DDNS]" is a valid hostname. Or did you change that text before posting the image?

Yes I changed that text before I posted it for privacy reasons :) it could be xwz.asuscomm.com instead.
But do I need to fill in anything else myself in the 'paste client certificate data' tag?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I use a custom setup and I had to paste my custom client certificate/key there. Just like the ca part that you show in the picture.

I don't know what's needed/generated with the default ovpn file.

View attachment 7379
are you saving that file in any way or form with notepad?
because if you do then that is your problem. If you need to edit that file you need to open it with notepad ++
asuscomm.com is fine in the client1.ovpn no need to change that.
Just export the file from the server and then load it directly into your iphone
if you need to make any changes for whatever reasons use notepad ++
There should be no reason why your iPhone wont accept that file.
Did you follow my guide?

Thanks in advance.

this is what it should look like of course the blah blah is for example only.

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote blahblah.asuscomm.com 1194
float
cipher AES-128-CBC
auth SHA1
comp-lzo no
keepalive 15 60
auth-user-pass
ns-cert-type server
<ca>
<ca>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
blahblahblah
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
</ca>
<cert>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
blahblahlalblabhabla
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
</cert>
<key>
-----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-----
blabalsoisudgoisdbohsdboibds
-----END PRIVATE KEY-----
</key>
resolv-retry infinite
nobind

if its not like that then you did something wrong.
Go back to the advanced settings of VPN server and make sure that they are as the guide.

Please follow up if you are still having issues.