What's new

NTP blocked; Alternatives to ntpd for updating time?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarmka

Occasional Visitor
I'm having some issues syncing time... I'm curious if there are other apps or methods available that can do this along side ntp. Thanks!

Last edited:
I simply put under firewall-start
nvram set ntp_ready=1
nvram commit
Till further notice I will update the time manually by hand.

You can use GPS-data to fetch the time, you can fetch it off local devices, but there's no option for this in the shell alone. I can't remember since this was waaaay back.

i know its possible to run an ntp server on a pc for example though id like to be able to simply receive the time from the router only, and a website or something; for example, a simple script pointing to a text file on a website with a list of up-to-date time codes based on time zone with the format "date -s "2018-05-10 18:58" would work and make it nearly impossible for an isp to block ntp.

Last edited:
i know its possible to run an ntp server on a pc for example though id like to be able to simply receive the time from the router only, and a website or something; for example, a simple script pointing to a text file on a website with a list of up-to-date time codes based on time zone with the format "date -s "2018-05-10 18:58" would work and make it nearly impossible for an isp to block ntp.
Your ISP is blocking ntp? Wow, that seems ... pointless.

I followed these instructions to create an NTP server running on a Raspberry Pi using this GPS board. It only took me about 1/2 day of fiddling to get it working.

Otherwise, a little bit of googling reveals there is a timestamp on http headers, so perhaps you can find a way to use that information from a server you trust?

Not sure why NTP would be blocked although I do know that if you query the NTP servers too much they will temporary block your IP address.

Not sure why NTP would be blocked although I do know that if you query the NTP servers too much they will temporary block your IP address.
From the bit of googling I did, it would seem that blocking ntp is not as uncommon as you might think outside of the U.S.

I found that one guy in Denmark had NTP blocked off, that's really weird. That's due to ISP, has nothing to do with the law. Could have been due to the attacks on NTPD's when they found a bug.

Highly unlikely that an ISP would block NTP, considering that tons of client devices rely on it, including Windows PCs.

Highly unlikely that an ISP would block NTP, considering that tons of client devices rely on it, including Windows PCs.
I gave up on relying on logic a long time ago. :) Bizarre stuff happens.

There was an unusual case reported of AT&T blocking NTP, but that's not something that would suddenly start happening.

Probably just a mistake, like how they recently blocked Cloudflare's DNS servers. Makes me wonder if their net admins know what they are doing...

Probably just a mistake, like how they recently blocked Cloudflare's DNS servers. Makes me wonder if their net admins know what they are doing...
Well they're still saying they're blocking it on their web site. Fortunately I'm not one of their customers.

In our dorm room we had a guy who never did anything network related take care of the network for our dorm. Needless to say, NTP was blocked and buffer bloat was more than horrible. He also tried to transmit 100 Mbps to rooms through cat3 cables and we got massive packet loss.

So ya, it does happen when you have a joke taking care of those kind of things.

The only blocking that takes place is once skynet is initiated... skynet won't load unless ntp is already working. as for the rest I have disabled other mods that could be causing it without any success; I'll keep on digging maybe I overlooked something.

Last edited:
Well they're still saying they're blocking it on their web site. Fortunately I'm not one of their customers.

If they truly deliberately block it, then they are run by idiots, plain and simple.

(sorry for the bluntness if you actually work for them, but this is a plain stupid policy, that will break tons of embedded devices).

The only blocking that takes place is once skynet is initiated... skynet won't load unless ntp is already working. as for the rest I have disabled other mods that could be causing it without any success; I'll keep on digging maybe I overlooked something.

I can't take you seriously when you're taking someone elses code and then publishing it as your own. Like parts of Skynet.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/p...ts-access-to-unique-country-block-code.46560/

Open-source is open-source but taking credit from taking parts of another's code is a big NO.

Status
Not open for further replies.