What's new

NTP not working.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cofetym

I have an RTN66u connected to RT-AC66u. The RT666u's ntp is fine and I have the correct date and time, while the RT_AC66u is stuck on Dec 31st 2010.

Is this because the RTN66u is dishing all the DHCP commands out to the RT-AC66u ? Is this normal or am I doing something wrong in my setup. Both routers have different IP settings 192.168.1.1 on the first and 192.168.1.2 on the second.

Any help if needed appreciated.:)

NTP only works in router mode, it doesn't work in AP/bridge/repeater mode.

Not supposed to work according to what you said but it is on the 1st router.

So,Why then when both routers are set in the default router mode and connected. I get the correct time and date on the RTN66u and not the other ?
That part doesn't seemed to be quite addressed here.:confused:

Another NTP problem: a 2nd router behind a OpenVPN connected AC68u (374.42) cannot access NTP servers

Not supposed to work according to what you said but it is on the 1st router.

So,Why then when both routers are set in the default router mode and connected. I get the correct time and date on the RTN66u and not the other ?
That part doesn't seemed to be quite addressed here.:confused:

Something on your network doesn't make sense. You cannot have both routers on the same subnet (192.168.1.0/24) and have both of them in router mode. The second router would be unable to deal with having both the LAN and WAN sides within the same subnet. I assume that one of them must be in AP mode then.

Both routers set to default. 1st router RTN66u IP 192.168.1.1 2nd router RTAC66u IP 192.168.1.2

Everything is working fine with the exception of the occasional disconnect on my laptop connected to RTAC66u/5ghz.
NTP giving me the need to be synchronized to ntp message.

Well I took the time to connect the RT-AC66u directly to the modem and still the NTP would not synchronize so my best guess is there is something going on with the RT-AC66u router and possible firmware.:rolleyes:

NTP Sorted.

Rmerlin you were absolutely right about setting one of the routers in AP mode.

Neglected to do it in my initial setting up of the routers. Once I did that and read a little bit extra from a post I found on the board. Everything is working perfectly now.

If this helps anyone I have the RTN66u in default mode and lan from that connected to the RT-AC66u's lan setup in AP mode with dhcp turned off.
1st router IP set 192.168.1.1 and does the dhcp assigning 2nd router I manually assigned IP to 192.168.1.2.
You can have the 1st router assign the IP for you but you will need the Asus Discovery Device to find the assigned IP for you. You will lose some of the features in the AP mode!

Thanks, RMerlin.

If anyone needs to add anything I've missed please fell free to share.