What's new

NTP Server sending incorrect timezone in 384.11

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nitro001

Regular Contributor
Hello,
In the new 384.11_2, I have set the option to intercept NTP client requests and enabled the local NTP server.

We recently moved from Eastern (EST) time to Central (CST) time and I have adjusted the timezone on the router to reflect this and even rebooted it. Now locally on the router, when you SSH in and do a date it returns the correct date; however, I have a couple android phones, iphones and windows laptops that all still report getting Eastern Time from an NTP source which I assume is the router since it intercepts requests and is the only DNS entry. I have to override the timezone manually on the devices in order to get them to work.

Has anyone else seen this behavior with the new firmware and is there a way to validate if the local machine is getting its NTP from the router or via the pool.ntp.org directly.

Thanks.

NTP has nothing to do with timezone configuration, this is strictly a client-side configuration.

NTP has nothing to do with timezone configuration, this is strictly a client-side configuration.

I had initially assumed it was getting it from the GPS in the devices, but the GPS shows me near where I am in the correct timezone, an since the router now has the timezone, start/end weeks listed, I wasn't sure if there was an override somewhere I was unaware of.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure what RMerlin is saying is that the time zone must be set on your phones, tablets, laptops, etc.

Your router configuration is fine since when you SSH in it has the correct info.

IIRC my understanding is that the NTP server essentially just provides the time in GMT and it is up to the client device to decide how to manipulate that for the user based on its own configuration. So, it sounds like everything is working as it should, you just need to set the correct TZ on your devices.

I'm pretty sure what RMerlin is saying is that the time zone must be set on your phones, tablets, laptops, etc.

Your router configuration is fine since when you SSH in it has the correct info.

IIRC my understanding is that the NTP server essentially just provides the time in GMT and it is up to the client device to decide how to manipulate that for the user based on its own configuration. So, it sounds like everything is working as it should, you just need to set the correct TZ on your devices.
Yes, this is my understanding as well, that NTP synchronizes UTC. UTC is one time globally.
https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/faq/faq_32.htm

It is left to the operating system to offset from UTC to the local time zone. So there is no getting around the need to set the time zone for each of your devices.