What's new

Nubie question: what am I doing wrong

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nutswithtwins

New Around Here
I'm sorry if this is a redundant question, but let me lay out the scenario and hopefully someone can help... I'm new here so be nice!
I am not super technically advanced... I can get by with good directions but I am not into coding...or anything close to that! I have Spectrum internet that runs about 200 mps. I currently have a Sagecom Fast 5260 that I rent with my internet. After reading the reviews, I just purchased and installed a Netgear R7800. My expectations were high as the reviews are stellar and what the hell is a Sagecom Fast 5260??!! The Sagecom was installed by the guy who put the internet in 3 years ago when I moved here. I installed the Netgear and set it up as directed.
The problem: the Sagecom ABSOLUTELY smokes the netgear!! Right next to the modem... its close, but anywhere past 10 feet or so, the Netgear starts losing ground, and in the back room (35 feet or so down a hallway and through a door) it's an embarrassment. 175mbs sagecom vs 80 MBA Netgear (at best). I looked at the channels on the netgear and it said only 1 device on it. Both 5hz band, tried multiple speed check sites (all the same result). Routers located exact same spot, tested 1 at a time with the other unplugged. I understand that different situations exist that causes routers to perform differently, but am I unrealistic that a "high end" Netgear should at least hold it's own against a Sagecom? Or is Sagecom some powerhouse router that nobody talks about and I should consider myself lucky to have one? Please help!

I'm sorry if this is a redundant question, but let me lay out the scenario and hopefully someone can help... I'm new here so be nice!
I am not super technically advanced... I can get by with good directions but I am not into coding...or anything close to that! I have Spectrum internet that runs about 200 mps. I currently have a Sagecom Fast 5260 that I rent with my internet. After reading the reviews, I just purchased and installed a Netgear R7800. My expectations were high as the reviews are stellar and what the hell is a Sagecom Fast 5260??!! The Sagecom was installed by the guy who put the internet in 3 years ago when I moved here. I installed the Netgear and set it up as directed.
The problem: the Sagecom ABSOLUTELY smokes the netgear!! Right next to the modem... its close, but anywhere past 10 feet or so, the Netgear starts losing ground, and in the back room (35 feet or so down a hallway and through a door) it's an embarrassment. 175mbs sagecom vs 80 MBA Netgear (at best). I looked at the channels on the netgear and it said only 1 device on it. Both 5hz band, tried multiple speed check sites (all the same result). Routers located exact same spot, tested 1 at a time with the other unplugged. I understand that different situations exist that causes routers to perform differently, but am I unrealistic that a "high end" Netgear should at least hold it's own against a Sagecom? Or is Sagecom some powerhouse router that nobody talks about and I should consider myself lucky to have one? Please help!

Can you post a screenshot of your wireless settings on the R7800?

And what firmware version is it on?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190723-190236_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190723-190236_Samsung Internet.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 367
Your modem already has built in router and wifi. If your using the R7800 as well as a router and WiFi, it's not recommended to have the modem run as a router and wifi.

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.