What's new

NVRAM Save/Restore Utility - Can it still be used?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I found out today that the NVRAM save/restore utility (which I have used in the past) is available on amtm, but am I right in thinking that it won't work with recent firmware and/or on routers like mine (I assume that is why it says it's "deprecated")?

Not guaranteed to work and not recommended to use. Depending on what do you want to save from NVRAM there are other methods.

It’s quite old and know nothing about new features like AiMesh, VPN Director, the new method to store DHCP static info to jffs, etc).
It‘s ok for simple setup ups. But not really good enough for todays firmware images,

I'm in the same boat. So, what other methods would be better?

What do you want to backup? Built-un save/restore settings + jffs works well on the same router/firmware.

How would I do save/restore settings from cli? I want to run a script. But this is only a stopgap. I want to be able to save and restore across different Merlin versions to get as many settings as possible. Doing save/restore and save jffs only works with the same version.

With the many scripts you have installed you need to investigate individual/custom options. Like YazDHCP has it's own save/restore, for example. Basic settings save/restore works between firmware versions and even routers, but you can't rely on saving more advanced configurations in newer Asuswrt-Merlin and restore them on older firmware with no such settings available or even used.

I don't know how you run that many scripts on AC86U with known software bug. This router locks up from time to time even built-in TrendMicro components.

With the many scripts you have installed you need to investigate individual/custom options. Like YazDHCP has it's own save/restore, for example. Basic settings save/restore works between firmware versions and even routers, but you can't rely on saving more advanced configurations in newer Asuswrt-Merlin and restore them on older firmware with no such settings available or even used.

I don't know how you run that many scripts on AC86U with known software bug. This router locks up from time to time even built-in TrendMicro components.

I've run for weeks without a problem. Usually it breaks when I do something stupid, like trying out a new setting or to make a change to something, like Unbound or Skynet or something else. If I just leave it alone, it works great. Some of that may also be due to my h/w config. I'm using an external SSD rather than a flash stick, and I have dual fans keeping the router cool. One of the scripts I autorun daily is a script to do a backup. It runs nsru but also backs-up other locations that I need to save, like the history for vnstat, conmon, and ntpMerlin. I just found the location for the YazDHCP settings, so I'll add that to the script. I'm still looking for the VPN Director location so I can add that also. Even with all that, it still takes a while to reload everything if I need to do a nuclear reset.

It was your choice to run all that on your router. :)
The more complex the setup the more time needed to restore it. You perhaps need to simplify the setup.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!