What's new

NVRAM NVRAM Save/Restore Utility, Conversation Continued

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TonyK132

Continuation from previous thread. It would not let me respond because of the 6 month rule.

Possibly, but maybe there is something else going on?
I only ever run my NVRAM backups manually using your utility and I’ve seen it fail maybe 3-4 times over a year or so of doing them roughly weekly. My drive is a 250GB Samsung EVO860 SSD inside a UGreen SATA-to-USB 3.0 2.5” case, which has been utterly reliable for everything else in terms of scripts and Entware, which is all it gets used for.
So I’m not ruling out it COULD be causing your script to fail occasionally but all the evidence points to the contrary? So for me it’s a minor annoyance, but I just run it again :)

BTW thanks for your script(s) and all your work here, it is much appreciated!

Thanks, it's good to know I'm not alone with this issue. I run a script as a daily cron job that calls this script, so I really do not know if it failed unless I log in and look for it. When it fails, it seems it just quits, so maybe there is something under the hood that is stopping the script from finishing, like a resource conflict, USB maybe, or a file that is being accessed by another process, which is why I asked if there is a way to track the execution to look for any of these kinds of conflicts.

@TonyK132 a new flash drive does not mean it is a 'good' flash drive. ;)
I know. But I've tried several different flash drives. The NVRAM User Save Utility script occasionally fails with all that I've tried including the latest, new Samsung drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Stephen Harrington

Your drive appears to be high-end and the chance of a disk error probably much lower than a low end USB drive. Disk error is probably unlikely in this case.

@john9527 is the original author of the NVRAM Save/Restore Utility then dropped support for it when 384.xx firmware was released. @Martineau made modifications for 384.xx release before handing it off to me for use by the community. Not much changed in how the utility writes to disk since the script was originally written. I don't recall seeing this issue arise in the original support thread. I'll do some searching online for similar issues to see if it can lead to any ideas. It is hard to trap the condition as the nvram-save.sh program just appears to stop working during the write operation to the nvram-save file and no errors are logged.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!