What's new

Observations on switching from RT-AC86U to GT-AX6000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For higher internal network speed you need a switch. With no plans for >Gigabit ISP a router with 2.5GbE ports is useless.

I'm sure you meant the RT-AX86U Pro (not AC). And the hardware may be identical otherwise. Doesn't make the 'pro' balanced though. This is a router, after all.

The ace up its sleeve is that the GT-AX6000 has proven itself over the last year. No such data for the 'pro', even with its disadvantages.

Of course, at $10K extra the worth would shift. Don't bring strawman arguments to the table.

No, I'm not conflating anything. On the contrary, you are. Using your example, the stock Honda Civic would be worth more if the WRX only came with 3 wheels. But let's not lose sight of the forest for the trees here.

If you paid attention, I usually suggest/recommend models I've used. I don't recommend models on specs.

As for aesthetics? I don't and have never bought into that. I pay for the best product at the lowest price with the most hardware at a certain time. The looks will be what they are. They never contribute to performance in any case.

Again, my definition of better hardware has been explained many times on the forum. The hardware, or the firmware/software, on their own, isn't the final criteria, ever. To save you from searching; a proven model such as the GT-AX6000, at a fair or excellent price (e.g. when on sale), with exceptional performance, and with the hardware to take advantage of that performance, along with RMerlin support, and also being something I have used personally (and therefore have recommended professionally to many) is what is deemed recommendable by me.

PS. Your car example doesn't work here. They both get you from point A to B equally well (within legal limits). And they both have all the necessary parts to do so right from the dealer.

The GT-AXE16000 is still in its teething phase for some today. And 10GbE ports are hardly 'consumer' grade for the masses. Besides, Gen 2 AXE class routers will easily surpass it soon, I'm sure (both in performance and in stability/reliability).

If they come out before Gen 2 of WiFi 7, that is.
Ahhh, so only your "worth" judgement counts. Since an $80 difference doesn't matter per your earlier post, and a $10,000 difference is "a strawman", please tell me EXACTLY where the line is where the worth of AX6000 is the same as a $250 AX86U Pro, and why that line is objectively the correct line?

Use case matters. Period. I have no doubt you have established the AX6000 is the best for your use case. But to extrapolate that and say use case doesn't matter and the AX6000 is the best for everyone's home is a giant leap to the island of conclusions. You lost me on the 3 wheeled WRX thing, but if my use case is a daily commuter, why in the world would I buy a car designed to win rallies? (Which, haters, it has. Regularly. More than any other car, since Subaru designed it specifically to race in rallies) I still won't buy one though, I have no interest in driving in rallies, I need a commuter car.

And yes, of course I didn't mean AC86U Pro, there is no such thing. The fact that you don't care about aesthetics doesn't mean they aren't important to other people. You honestly seem to believe yours is the only valid judgement about what matters and what doesn't. Yours isn't, and neither is mine.

You specifically have said multiple times the AX6000 has better hardware and now you're moving the goalposts to models you have used that have been on the market a long time. Any other qualifiers you want to add to that list? You've continued to ignore the fact that except for the one 2.5Gb Ethernet port, they have the exact same hardware. They have what appears to be the same processor, the same ram, the same flash, where is the better hardware you were touting? I'd be shocked if the SoC wasn't identical between the two as well (and the AX88U Pro for that matter), and ASUS just chose not to wire the 2nd 2.5Gbit port as a marketing decision, meaning the reliability and performance of the AX6000 is likely directly indicative of the AX86U Pro and probably the AX88U Pro as well. Given the wild price shifting across the globe between the least expensive and most expensive, it sounds 100% like a marketing difference. Why make 3 unique routers with essentially identical specs instead of just one board and dress it up 3 different ways?

And if I want performance comparisons, I'll go to someone who actually tests them in a controlled environment, because there are all kinds of factors that can make one appear better than the other if not tested in a controlled environment. And even THAT won't necessarily tell me which will perform better in my home, in my unique RF environment, it will just tell me which has a better chance of performing better. And if they're within about 10% of each other even in a controlled environment, that's just noise in the data, mate. This is consumer level hardware, they only spend just enough money to pass muster with the various government regulatory agencies around the world. You'd have to aggregate the performance of a couple hundred of the same model of each to get a "true" prediction of the expected performance distribution.

And yeah, there are consumer level 10Gbit cards. ASUS sells them. 10Gbit doesn't automatically mean SFP+ anymore. They cost what Intel consumer grade 10/100/1000Mbit NICs used to cost.

I'd be shocked if the SoC wasn't identical between the two as well (and the AX88U Pro for that matter), and ASUS just chose not to wire the 2nd 2.5Gbit port as a marketing decision

The hardware differences: The same CPU BCM4912 with 1x 2.5GbE interface, GT-AX6000 has external BCM50991E for the second 2.5GbE port. RT-AX86U Pro uses the same 3x3 BCM6710 2.4GHz radio as RT-AX86U, GT-AX6000 has newer 4x4 BCM6715. RGB Lights on GT-AX6000.

Both are Honda Civic and if you miss a gear in settings this happens:

By the way, I invented the term. Are you going to use it further? There is a licensing fee.

Last edited:
@cmkelley, I see you're not open to a logical discussion. I have already backed up my facts. It's up to you to understand them. That requires at least trying to comprehend what I wrote without seeing it as an 'in' to attack my sound logic. Twisting what I say doesn't make this easier for you. I'm sure others reading along got my point many posts ago. No goalposts changed. Additional information was sought and offered. Please do what you will with it, but my points, stand.

@cmkelley, I see you're not open to a logical discussion. I have already backed up my facts. It's up to you to understand them. That requires at least trying to comprehend what I wrote without seeing it as an 'in' to attack my sound logic. Twisting what I say doesn't make this easier for you. I'm sure others reading along got my point many posts ago. No goalposts changed. Additional information was sought and offered. Please do what you will with it, but my points, stand.
The unassailable logic of someone who says the hardware is better then never says why or how. Yep, that's some sound logic right there.
You are a troll and I demand my $5.

I've stated why. Up to you to understand. Maybe you're the troll here?

You know we can understand each other and not have to agree, right?

... In fact, the aesthetics of the AX86U Pro are "worth" probably $30 to me. I'd probably pay $30 more for an AX86U Pro over an AX6000 because to me, the AX6000 is fugly....
oddly today - 'fugly' sells... don't ask why...

(hey cm - thx for the scribe fix, btw)...

Linksys WRT54GL

"The best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be"

😎

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!