What's new

Odd behavior with file naming on RT-AC3100 using the USB file sharing (Samba)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Robert Giuffre

Occasional Visitor
So this is more of an annoyance than a bug. I have an ASUS RT-AC3100 with the latest Merlin firmware. I have a 4TB SSD connected to the front USB 3.x port on the router. I am using File Sharing (SAMBA) as a Media Server. It works great on my network. The only issue I am having is when I create a new folder in the webui on the router. If I type the folder name in upper and lower case, it shows correctly on the media players. But, if I type something in all upper-case, it shows in lower-case on the media players. For example, I have the series MASH. I've tried many different combinations to try and get it all in upper-case. I've tried naming the folder "M.A.S.H." but it shows as "m.a.s.h." I tried naming the folder "MASH", but it shows as "mash". But if I name the folder "Mash", then it shows as "Mash".

I'm curious why the router would force it to all lower-case, unless it's a mixture of upper and lower case.

This is a feature of Windows File Explorer and nothing to do with Samba or the router.

See the Ubuntu example below which has no problem displaying upper, mixed and lower case names.
Code:
# smbclient -L 192.168.1.1
Password for [HOME\root]:

Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        ASUS            Disk      ClickUSB1's ASUS in Verbatim ClickUSB
        Mash            Disk      ClickUSB1's Mash in Verbatim ClickUSB
        entware         Disk      ClickUSB1's entware in Verbatim ClickUSB
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (RT-AX86U)

Last edited: