What's new

Odd problem hopefully someone has an idea

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bill W

Occasional Visitor
I have an RT-AC86U and I am updating some home automation devices. I have a home automation hub that has a reserved IP address and another Raspberry Pi device that also has a reserved IP address. I can connect to the hub every day with no issues. The Raspberry Pi device responds via software that is running on it but if I try to connect to the configuration page via a browser or I try to SSH to it then it either times out or I get connection refused. This happens from my PC, iPhone, and iPad. If I keep trying after 20+ attempts then it will respond. I have tried everything I can think of but since it will suddenly work I'm thinking it has to be something other than the settings on the router but I just don't know what. Trying to access it by taking the router out of the loop would be a royal configuration pain so I'm hoping for some ideas other than that. The device will not respond to ping either until it finally responds to everything. I also should note that sometimes, like right now, my iPhone will suddenly connect to the configuration page BUT the PC still continues to fail for awhile. Weird huh?

Sounds like the Pi is going to sleep or some other sort of power saving mode. Is the Pi connected by WiFi or Ethernet?

WiFi. I did find something about being sure your network drivers on your PC are up to date. I did that just now and as it finished it let me in. Could be random timing but I will not know now until tomorrow morning as once it begins working during the day it keeps working. Doesn't explain my iPhone also not connecting and/or connecting before the PC can. So it probably is something on the Pi I just don't know enough about them to know what to check.

If the problem persists can you connect the Pi by Ethernet instead, even if it's only temporary? WiFi in itself adds a whole extra layer of potential connectivity problems. Removing that layer greatly helps in tracking down the problem.

Make sure your AC86U firmware is up-to-date. Asus released another update today. May I recommend the Asus firmware with Dual Band Smart connect, 2.4 GHZ set to ch 1, 6 or 11 @ 20 MHZ and 5 GHZ set to a fixed non DFS channel @ 80 MHZ.
My Pi (currently on Pi-Hole) is wired but I have run it on WIFI for weeks on end with no issues as Pi-Hole or Zoneminder cam server with Debian 10 or Ubuntu 18.04 or 20.04 32 or 64 bit with no issues. Speaking of which, about time to get a Pi 4 as the Pi 3 is in dedicated service now.

Running this on Merlin's firmware. Next week I will be moving the Pi over by the router and it will be hardwired then. I'll just sit tight and see if that resolves this at that time. Thanks for input!

I moved it to the router and connected it via cable and it works great now. Even the wireless connection responds immediately. So dunno but this is it's final place so what ever is wrong does not matter.