What's new

Office support for cake-fq codel?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vexira

Part of the Furniture
I just wanted to ask if there will be official support or future units that support cake.

A user on the Merlin side of the fourm was able to add cake, I just wanted to ask if we could please have official support at driver level for FQ-CODEL and Cake, since this would be extremely beneficial to the end users and make adaptive QoS more worthwhile to use in its current state it requires a lot of work with Cake and FQ-CODEL, QoS would be more compatible with all connection types.

I was wondering if that in future firmware updates the units that already have the 4.x.x.x kernel versions could have thier version number updated to a version that is supported by cake eg kernel version 4.19 and both Cake and FQ-CODEL Implemented as options to choose from in adaptive qos similar as to shown in the linked thread from the Merlin fourm.

Link to the thread:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac86u-i-built-cake.49190/

Thanks in advance.

@vanic @Wilson_Deng

Last edited:
Kernel versions cannot be upgraded. They are determined by Broadcom, not by Asus.

A user on the Merlin side of the fourm was able to add cake, I just wanted to ask if we could please have official support at driver level for FQ-CODEL and Cake, since this would be extremely beneficial to the end users and make adaptive QoS more worthwhile to use in its current state it requires a lot of work with Cake and FQ-CODEL, QoS would be more compatible with all connection types.

I was wondering if that in future firmware updates the units that already have the 4.x.x.x kernel versions could have thier version number updated to a version that is supported by cake eg kernel version 4.19 and both Cake and FQ-CODEL Implemented as options to choose from in adaptive qos similar as to shown in the linked thread from the Merlin fourm.

SQM needs support at multiple levels - so while kernel patches might be available, many of the drivers are closed source.

Out of the major AC1900 and upper class devices - best bet to explore Cake and FQ-Codel is going to be Marvell based with OpenWRT, where there has been a fair amount of work done.

The Broadcom and Qualcomm-Atheros SDK's are kind of doing their own thing with flow-acceleration and QoS, but this is largely closed source - some of the flow offload stuff in OpenWRT was related to QCA's work in the same area, with drops provided.