What's new

Old computer as a Network Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ap-alexander

New Around Here
Hi there, I have recently upgraded my main desktop and want to built my old computer into a network server. I have most of what I need, but I need help in completing it.

Here's the information about my what I currently have:
Old computer:
An AMD Phenom II with 8GB of RAM, 40GB Intel SSD. It's built in an Antec 300 case with a 560W PSU and an Nvidia 9600GSO GPU. At the moment it's running Linux. (Ubuntu 12.10)

Uses: (what I want the system to do)
Pretty standard, really. I will use the server as main storage for media and documents, and will be streaming via ethernet to my TV via PS3. I would also love to be able to stream wirelessly to iOS devices and Apple TV. (I'm using the Apple TV to stream audio upstairs)

Network hardware:
This is a work in progress. I have a typical modem/router (Linksys dual band) setup. However, I have a 24 port patch panel (not installed) and have my eye on a 16-port unmanged gigabit switch to finish the build. I have network drops in the office, theater room, and one upstairs.

What I want to know is, instead of getting the 16-port switch, can I easily (and relatively in-expensively) turn my old computer into a network switch? What do I need to buy? I will be getting a couple Western Digital Red 3TB drives, but as far as ethernet connectivity do I just get several network cards and install them? What software to I need to get it all up and running?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Buy the switch. You don't want your computer acting as a switch or even a router if you plan on using it as a NAS,

The switch would cost less.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!