What's new

Old pc as router and more?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MasterBash

Regular Contributor
I have an old pc here that and I don't know what to do with it. 4770k 16gb ram, 256gb m.2 + 1tb ssd. It is a mid tower case so I can expand storage if needed.

I am thinking of maybe making my own router with it, with my own DNS Server and maybe encrypt everything on the LAN side (is it worth it?) and maybe setup some VLANs. I currently have an obi202 too do maybe I can run my own VoIP server.

Ideally, I would like to make it a very secure router. Apparently pfsense is very good (No experience with it), I currently have 1x gbe port and a 802.11ax 2x2 card, but those are expandable too since i have a few free pci-express ports.

Any thoughts? Otherwise, I will just give it to my niece so she can game a bit on it.

My recommendation is IPFire. Much easier to set up than pfSense. Last I checked it had lots of add-ons the best being an IP filter that is based on IP Address not DNS filtering. Great firewall, OpenVPN, and much more! Just add a second or third LAN card or a WIFI adapter and you are set.

I currently have an obi202 too do maybe I can run my own VoIP server.

You could... but it would probably be a one-off, energy inefficient, multipurpose box where if one thing goes down, everything comes down. And you'd still need to source SIP trunks. A dedicated PI appliance computer would serve better, I think.

Instead, consider using that OBi202 with an Internet Telephony Service Provider like VoIP.ms.

OE

Yes, I am currently using it with Anveo. I agree that it would be very inefficient.

I am trying to find some kind of purpose for my old PC. I know security is important, but I am unlikely to need something like pfsense for my home network or even 10GbE, so even building a router/NAS out of the PC would seem excessive.

plex :)

I have an old pc here that and I don't know what to do with it. 4770k 16gb ram, 256gb m.2 + 1tb ssd. It is a mid tower case so I can expand storage if needed.

I am thinking of maybe making my own router with it, with my own DNS Server and maybe encrypt everything on the LAN side (is it worth it?) and maybe setup some VLANs. I currently have an obi202 too do maybe I can run my own VoIP server.

Ideally, I would like to make it a very secure router. Apparently pfsense is very good (No experience with it), I currently have 1x gbe port and a 802.11ax 2x2 card, but those are expandable too since i have a few free pci-express ports.

Any thoughts? Otherwise, I will just give it to my niece so she can game a bit on it.
hi i use opnsense on for pc based router https://opnsense.org/
has great user interface based on freebsd/hardened bsd operating system. all packages and drivers are well maintained on up to date release.