What's new

Omada or Unifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yulian

New Around Here
So I currently have a mostly Omada setup at home. an OC200, a unmanaged 8 port tplink switch, two EAP245v3s, and a Edge Router X. Its been working OK for the most part, but I am tired of dealing with 2 different admin panels, and them not working with each other. So I want to consolidate into 1 platform.

I want some advice on if I should get a ER605 from TPLink and replace the Edge Router X and go full Omada, or should I drop the TPLink stuff, and go full Unifi.

Reason I am considering this, is I also want to go Wifi 6 real soon. I have AX in most of my computers and I do a lot of in-home game streaming and nothing is wired (wife hates wires) except for the AC access point going over Coax using a goCoax. The house is old and not wired well. I plan to get EAP HD 660s when the prices normalize if I stick to Omada. or go with the Unifi U6s if I go with Unifi.

Some of my requirements:

- IPv6
- Good Wifi, everything is on wifi, it needs to work well.
- Can deal with Comcast nonsense. I at least use a self-purchased Arris modem and pay for Gigabit internet.
- Easy to use management portal. I really enjoy the Omada one, but the dashboard on the Edge Router X is awful. I have not tried the Unifi Cloud Controller
- Easy to use monitoring tools, at least to see traffic usage, whats using what traffic. I like the categorization in the ER-X and can see which services my network is using most.

Any advice, or thoughts?

Why don't you get one ER605 (TL-R605) and see what it can do for you? The router is $60 only. The rest of your Omada system is good.

Ok, I can do that. Wanted to try asking first since you guys helped me out the first time with the main setup, so I figured i would sanity check before moving forward. Thanks for the help.

I had one few months after the release, for testing purposes. The firmware was initial version and had still non-working features; the hardware version was V1. Whatever was available there was working, but I had to send it back because hardware version V1.6 become available shortly after. Don't buy V1 router, TP-Link fixed quickly something with V1.6.

Yeah, I'd grab a TL-ER605 and try going all Omada. Use the 605's built-in switch as your "core" managed switch; if you need more managed ports, get an SDN-capable model for full single-pane capability.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!