What's new

One of Kind Problem, Needs one of a kind solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hussain

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have laid Cat6 cable through my house as I wanted Gigabit Lan, so that I can stream my uncompressed Blu rays from my NAS to Television across the house.

However where I live, I neither have DSL nor cable internet. The only thing that is available 4g Lte network. Hence my unique problem. I want to establish a Gigabit network while still enjoying internet.

4g LTE Devices Options:
4g USB dongle:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/internet-devices/4g-lte-usb-modem-uml295/
OR
4g wifi transmitter:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/internet-devices/jetpack-mifi-6620l/)

Routers That I own:
TPLINK TL-MR3420 (this works with 4g dongle however is only 100 MBPS)
Linksys EA3500 - Dual-Band N750 Router
Linksys E3200 High-Performance

Switch I own:
DGS-1008A: 8-PORT GIGABIT DESKTOP SWITCH

Would appreciate any help, anyone can give me.

Thanks

Last edited:
You have a TP-Link that can handle the 4G-LTE connection. Even though it only has 100Mbit ethernet ports, it's only real use is to serve up that LTE connection, which is well under 100Mbits.

Just connect all of your LAN devices to the GigE switch. Connect the TP-Link to the switch. Don't use any of the LAN ports on the TP-Link for LAN devices and it gives you exactly what you want.

If the dongle works in the TP link use it as your router.

Plug your gigabyte switch into a LAN port on the TP Link and then connect all your devices that you want to stream video to as well as your video server. All the LAN activities will be handled by the switch. The speed of your router LAN ports won't have any impact on video streaming on your LAN.

All devices connected to switch will be able to receive Internet from WAN using dongle connected to your router. Depending on how many devices are connected to switch and what their bandwidth demands are the fact that the link between the switch and the router is 100Mbps it could cause some slow downs, but probably not a problem with 4G.

You have a TP-Link that can handle the 4G-LTE connection. Even though it only has 100Mbit ethernet ports, it's only real use is to serve up that LTE connection, which is well under 100Mbits.

Just connect all of your LAN devices to the GigE switch. Connect the TP-Link to the switch. Don't use any of the LAN ports on the TP-Link for LAN devices and it gives you exactly what you want.

I am out of league here but as I will be using DHCP server on TPlink, wouldn't that mean that all traffic will be routed via TPlink Router?

I am out of league here but as I will be using DHCP server on TPlink, wouldn't that mean that all traffic will be routed via TPlink Router?

Nope.

DHCP only assigns an address. Once the address is assigned, that station doesn't need to talk to (or through) the TP-Link again until:

1. It needs a new DHCP lease or
2. It needs to get out to the Internet.

In some cases, stations may need to send ARP messages to the router in order to find one of its peers but even then, the application traffic is sent directly from one one LAN station to the other, not through the router.

Last edited:
Routing yes, switching no.

Traffic is routed when it passes outside of your network to another network (in this case, the internet). What happens internal to your network when one computer wants to talk to another is that the data is switched between network devices. The network adapters and switches (and the switch within the router, that is its LAN ports) look at all of the connections they have and see's what paths they have. This is the MAC table every network device maintains.

When a packet of info goes out from a network device, it knows the outgoing path and that is generally it. The next network device gets it and knows everything it is connected to and passes it to the correct port and so on.

Since the router is connected "upstream" of anything in your network, no packets will get passed to it on the way to their intended destination. That is, unless of course they are going out to the internet.

The downside to this dumb behavior is, if you accidently setup up more than one path which the data can take, this is called a loop and generally causes networking devices to crap their digital pants. This is also why most decent higher level switches (the stuff you generally don't find in a typical consumer's home) that has any kind of management almost always has something called loop back protection, also known as spanning tree. It can intelligently detect such a loop and disable one of the ports that is causing the loop based on a quicky algorithm that can weight the path through the network based on hops and port speed. Really smart ones can then re-enable the disabled port if the loop condition is later removed.