What's new

only express VPN works with TV?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jim trudel

Regular Contributor
hi,

I have a netgear nighthawk R7800 with DD WRT from flashrouters. before I had linksys wrt1900acs with the express vpn firmware, everything was fine, perfect to watch netflix directly on my samsung TV, just to choose server on the expressvpn dashboard app and thats it.... So now with my netgear + DD wrt + FR privacy app + express vpn, everything is fine too... But express vpn is not the cheapest one so I tried cyberghost and nord vpn... both are supported by flashrouters APP, we just need to take a subcriptions from the vpn providers, put username and password etc and we are good to go. Both work fine to protect my devices but impossible to watch netflix via th TV like express vpn does, netflix detects the vpn. And I spoke with cyberghost and nord vpn and they told me that it was impossible in the moment, the only way is to watch netlfix from their apps, android or PC..... and I can use the pc + HDMI cable to watch on tv but not directly on my tv like express vpn does..

I dont know why only express vpn does that?? idea??
Cyberghost and Nord VPN are two big players with express vpn.....
thank you

I dont know why only express vpn does that?? idea??

Probably because that provider's IP range isn't specifically detected by Netflix. They could very well start blacklisting them as well at any time, so it's mostly a game of whack-a-mole there.

Another thing that may make a difference is the DNS server you use. Using a public server like 8.8.8.8 is less likely to be problematic than using a server managed by the VPN provider.

Probably because that provider's IP range isn't specifically detected by Netflix. They could very well start blacklisting them as well at any time, so it's mostly a game of whack-a-mole there.

Another thing that may make a difference is the DNS server you use. Using a public server like 8.8.8.8 is less likely to be problematic than using a server managed by the VPN provider.

maybe , btw,

I meant, it is not about dd wrt or router, it is about vpn, it seems that only express vpn allow to view netflix on TV via vpn on router.. nordvpn and cyberghost told me that their service wont work with vpn on router to watch TV, just expressvpn does it seems

just expressvpn does it seems

Not necessarily. I have used Astrill and certain servers would work but every so often if I wanted to use a VPN for Netflix I would have to contact Astrill and find out which server(s) were not currently black listed. As Merlin said it is a game of whack a mole.

Not necessarily. I have used Astrill and certain servers would work but every so often if I wanted to use a VPN for Netflix I would have to contact Astrill and find out which server(s) were not currently black listed. As Merlin said it is a game of whack a mole.

It is not about black listed servers cause their servers work with their apps.. android or pc for example.. but not on TV.. my point it's just about that. Just expressvpn works on everything. I have a VPN router, so all my devices are on the server I choose, even my smart tv, so if I choose a server in France, if my provider is Express VPN, I can watch netflix france on my cell , PC or tv directly. But not with cyber, nordvpn or surkshark etc..... just on their apps.

Last edited:
Well, now you know what you are paying express vpn for.
Seriously, why not talk to express vpn and ask them why theirs works as you wanted and not the other vpn providers.