What's new

Ont connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nicc

New Around Here
Hello All
Ive Bought an asus zen ac (ct8) router and have failed the IQ test in connecting it to the existing modem / Router set up.
I think there’s an optical network terminal connecting to a modem / router (both in one Device).
The ont seems to be connected to the modem / router via the wan connection.
So I can’t work out how to connect the new asus router if the wan is in use.
please excuse my ignorance but any help would be much appreciated
nic

Attachments

• C3DC07AA-F1D5-4F60-B1BA-1575F6FA5E97.jpeg
    C3DC07AA-F1D5-4F60-B1BA-1575F6FA5E97.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 1E73B5BE-D7C8-4584-8BCC-CC990D1B90A0.jpeg
    1E73B5BE-D7C8-4584-8BCC-CC990D1B90A0.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 113
What is the end game? Just wanting to replace/upgrade the existing router?

If so, unplug and remove the existing router and plug new router in (yellow cable plugs into WAN port of new router). Then setup WAN as per your ISP instructions.

Hello All
Ive Bought an asus zen ac (ct8) router and have failed the IQ test in connecting it to the existing modem / Router set up.
I think there’s an optical network terminal connecting to a modem / router (both in one Device).
The ont seems to be connected to the modem / router via the wan connection.
So I can’t work out how to connect the new asus router if the wan is in use.
please excuse my ignorance but any help would be much appreciated
nic

Some options:

o replace the existing router with the new router.

o wire the new router WAN to the existing router LAN, configured as an Access Point to extend LAN/WLAN coverage.

o wire the new router WAN to the existing router LAN, configured as a second router (double-NAT)... a different subnet.

o wireless the new router to an existing router WLAN, configured as a Bridge to extend LAN coverage only. All Bridge WiFi is used for the backhaul, not for clients.

You probably want to use the new router as a wired AP to extend LAN/WLAN coverage. Install latest released firmware, reset it to factory defaults, and then configure it. Search Asus FAQs for instructions.

OE

Last edited:
What is the end game? Just wanting to replace/upgrade the existing router?

If so, unplug and remove the existing router and plug new router in (yellow cable plugs into WAN port of new router). Then setup WAN as per your ISP instructions.

Yes, there’s lots of dead spots around the house so I thought I’d try a mesh router to improve that.

I’d originally asked the internet provider if I’d need to disconnect their modem / router in order for a new router to work. but they told me to just plug my new asus into it (their router / modem) to create another network.
As I didnt have a spare wan port to use I removed the existing router / modem as you but the asus couldn’t find an internet connection.

I’m not sure if I’m understanding what the existing hardware is though. I think the small box must be the optical network terminal and the larger box a combined modem / router.

Ok, so it sounds like you want to use your ASUS as an access point or repeater.

If an access point, it will have to be configured as an access point, placed where your wifi is weak and then cable connected back to one of your lan ports on your existing router.

If you don't want to get into running a lan cable, use the asus box as a repeater. In repeater mode, the asus will pick up your existing router's wifi, and then repeat it as a new wifi SSID. The trade off from an access point is that your repeater wifi will be only half the speed of your existing router.

To use AiMesh, both the base router and the remote must be AiMesh capable. I am going to guess and say the existing router is not Mesh capable.

I’m not sure if I’m understanding what the existing hardware is though. I think the small box must be the optical network terminal and the larger box a combined modem / router.

Yes, right now, the smaller box that your fibre is terminating into is a "media converter". It converts the fibre signal (sfp connection) into a ethernet signal (ethernet port). The ethernet cable then goes from the media converter into your existing router.

Sorry but I just realized that I havent been clear (again). But I’ve got a 2 pack of the new asus routers if that makes a difference?

Cool, then to take advantage of the AiMesh setup, you would outright replace the existing router (what the media converter ethernet cable goes to) with one of your Asus routers and set it up as a "router". The second Asus box would be set up as your AiMesh.

I don't use Mesh, so I really can't help in setting up the node (the remote Asus box). To get the best performance and speed from the node, it does need an ethernet cable connection back to the router. I believe the backhaul can be done wireless, but the node's speed will suffer. The one nice advantage of a Mesh compared to a repeater is that you will have only one SSID in the house.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!