What's new

Ooma Telo, Linx and HD2 Handset Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vnangia

Thanks for the article, and the link over to the Skype phone as well - most interesting, and something I may consider buying for the folks.

For what it is worth, one thing that you may want to consider, especially if you, like me, are heavily married into Google's ecosystem is using Google Voice for all calling. Though I've seen the Ooma come on sale many times recently (Woot seems to have an endless supply of them), I opted instead to buy the (then-$8) GrooveIP application and install it on an older Android phone I had lying around without any service. Add $15 for a decent charging base where the phone sits upright, and I had the functionality of the Ooma for <$25, with the benefits of being able to text from the device if needed. Like the Ooma, if your Wifi goes down, so does GrooveIP, but other than shortcoming, I've found that after some small settings changes (notably, activating echo cancellation), GrooveIP is an excellent choice which requires very little work.

Something you may like to try out ... I know Michael would probably scoff at the narrowbandness of it, but it works! :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!