What's new

Ooma vs. MagicJack

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aqualung

Occasional Visitor
Currently a Vonage user, though methinks I am paying too much for residential phone, so methinks I should switch to one of them new fancy VoIP thingies. So, esteemed network aficionados, which one's the best at this point in time (July/Aug. 2015)? Ooma or MagicJack? Or some other VoIP service?

Many thanks!

Currently a Vonage user, though methinks I am paying too much for residential phone, so methinks I should switch to one of them new fancy VoIP thingies. So, esteemed network aficionados, which one's the best at this point in time (July/Aug. 2015)? Ooma or MagicJack? Or some other VoIP service?

Many thanks!
I have been using MagicJack for seven years and it does works very well most of the time. Sometimes it is like a cell connection and call quality isn't great but that is the exception. Usually I find the call quality within my dwelling unit is better using MagicJack connected to a Dect 6 cordless phone than my cell phone.

Also there are certain numbers that a call from my MagicJack won't connect to. This has something to do with MagicJack not being willing to pay for interconnections. When this happens I just use my cell phone.

As for the hardware I have had to replace the power supply a couple of times but that isn't a biggy as you can power the MagicJack using a USB cell phone charger wall wart and I seem to have an ample supply of those.

Thank you. Otherwise, it looks like Ooma Telo is free! Very attractive proposal! I also heard that Ooma has better voice quality. Any other opinions?

Many thanks!

I have been using majicjack for a couple of years without a hitch. I have never had a bad quality call on it ever. It just works. No screwing around with ports..

Many thanks!
Long ago, I had Vonage with their $9.99 plan. Their frequent price increases annoyed me, and I finally ditched them when it hit $16.99/mo. I switched to Ooma, and have been very happy with it. It costs me $3.74/mo, all in state taxes. The voice quality with Ooma has been perfect.

While the magic jack website and commercials tick me off to no end the service is good. I am on the multi year plan so I only have to deal with them at renewal.

I've had magic jack for 5 years, my other half still thinks we have a landline.

Just installed Ooma today with a managed switch. Our ONT terminal also has VoIP protocol routing. I'm sure that helps with the call quality but it is SUPERB so far. Keep in mind that chances are your local area code will not be available so you'll have to take the local cell phone area code instead.
Use http://localcallingguide.com/lca_prefix.php and type in your local cell phone area code in NPA and hit search. Choose the exchanges that are closest to where you live and look at the exchanges. Choose the one that contains most of your friends and family so they can call you without long distance. It's a little bit of work, but once you find the sweet spot you're set!

I'm a long time Ooma user and I am happy with it. I included the services upgrade that costs about $10/month added to the monthly taxes of about $4. At the time I bought it, Ooma had better reviews than Magic Jack, although both were well regarded. I suspect they're both pretty close now since the internet has improved so much during that time. Great blocking support with the added services. It even slowed down Rachel from Card Services. Although I also have a cell, for some reason I still feel comfortable with an Ooma 'landline'. It must be my age showing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!