What's new

Open VPN Client on Dedicated 2nd Router Behind Primary Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wingsfan87

Regular Contributor
Question: How do I properly set up my RT-AC3100 router as a dedicated vpn router behind my primary router to share VPN with all devices on my primary router?

Background: Primary router cannot handle multiple Open VPN client sessions. I want to be able to use my Asus router as my Open VPN client for site to site VPN behind my primary router.

Static routing. I understand I would have to set a static route in my primary router for any traffic destined for the remote VPN server network to point to the IP address of my second router.

Wireless is disabled on my secondary VPN router. I am simply trying to use it as a client and possibly a VPN server in multiple site to site VPN networks. If I can figure out how to get it working for one it will work for the rest.

Do I go from LAN (primary) to Lan on (vpn router), or LAN to WAN?

What I tried so far was set a static IP for the vpn router and disable DHCP and disabled NAT. And plugged it into the LAN on the primary to LAN on the secondary. I set a static route on the primary router to point any traffic bound for the remote vpn server network to point to the IP of the VPN router. However when I tried to start the client on the VPN router it never starts..

Any ideas what I am doing wrong or advice on how to fix?

Ok I figured out how to do it.

Primary router (LAN) to Asus VPN router (WAN).
Disabled Firewall
Set Asus DHCP LAN IP to a different subnet than the Primary subnet
Enabled both of my OPEN VPN clients and my Open VPN server
On Primary router created static routes forwarding to the LAN subnet with the IP of the WAN of the VPN router and also forwarding the other remote VPN subnets to the WAN IP of the VPN router.
Port forwarded the port for my Open VPN server to the IP of the WAN IP of the VPN router.

Bingo it works perfectly as a VPN router behind my primary router. All my devices on my primary router can access the subnets of each of the remote VPN servers (my side is client only) and I can access my home lan over the OPEN VPN

:)