What's new

OpenDNS on a dynamic IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I've recently changed fro Plusnet, where I had a fixed public IP address to BT Full Fibre, which uses a dynamic IP. Is it possible to still use OpenDNS if I decide that it would be preferable to BT's filtering service and if so, what steps would I need to follow to get it working?

I don't see any options as to how to set this up to run automatically from my ASUS RT-AX88U. I have DDNS configured to use with OpenVPN, so should I be looking to use that in some way or is there an alternative that can run from the router and not require me to leave a computer running 24/7 on my network?

You can use your DDNS to both vpn and router. All from gui. I'm using afraid.com (did I miss something?)

You can use your DDNS to both vpn and router. All from gui. I'm using afraid.com (did I miss something?)
Sorry but this is all new to me. Can you or anyone else specify the exact steps I would need to follow to get this working?

Sorry but this is all new to me. Can you or anyone else specify the exact steps I would need to follow to get this working?
Best and fasest way is read on wiki it's documented there.

DNSCrypt installer has built in support for what you want.
  • Support OpenDNS dynamic IP update by entering your OpenDNS account information
the account info you put in is stored in a hidden file on the router (/jffs/dnscrypt .config)
And the OpenDNS servers is Cisco servers in the dnscrypt server list

Had a go at installing it but there are way too many options to choose from and I had no idea whether I was giving the best or correct answers. Also, when I finally got through it all, I saw a warning somewhere about Cisco servers storing information, so at that point, I decided to uninstall it, especially as even after going through all the above procedure, I still couldn't fathom out how to set it up to work with OpenDNS. I think I'll stick with either BT or Quad9 (I haven't quite decided yet as there are conflicting views around these issues).

Had a go at installing it but there are way too many options to choose from and I had no idea whether I was giving the best or correct answers. Also, when I finally got through it all, I saw a warning somewhere about Cisco servers storing information, so at that point, I decided to uninstall it, especially as even after going through all the above procedure, I still couldn't fathom out how to set it up to work with OpenDNS. I think I'll stick with either BT or Quad9 (I haven't quite decided yet as there are conflicting views around these issues).
…OpenDNS is owned by Cisco - so if you have a fear of Cisco I suggest not using OpenDNS.

Quad9 only provides malware blocking not content filtering like OpenDNS or Cloudflare Families or CleanBrowsing.

ISP provided DNS is usually not good, especially when it comes to content blocking and history storing etc. of personal data.

Did a quick setup with OpenDNS(Cisco) and they do some logging i think.. But other may say they do not..really no way to be sure about that. That is why i use Anonymized DNSCrypt instead..a bit more advanced and checking with servers and relays before one get a good setup.
Info: Detected RT-AX88U router.
Info: Detected Linux platform.
Info: Detected ARMv8 architecture.
Info: JFFS custom scripts and configs are already enabled.
Info: DNS Environment is Ready.
Info: DI_VERSION=v2.3.1
Info: DNSCRYPT_VER=2.1.1
Info: Manager file is Up-To-Date!
Info: Choose what you want to do:
1) Install/Update dnscrypt-proxy
2) Uninstall dnscrypt-proxy
3) Configure dnscrypt-proxy
4) Set timezone
5) Unset timezone
6) Install (P)RNG
7) Uninstall (P)RNG
8) Install swap file
9) Uninstall ALL
b) Backup
q) Quit
=> Please enter the number that designates your selection:, [1-9/b/q]: 1 or 3
Info: This operation allows you to configure dnscrypt-proxy
=> Do you want to proceed? [y/n]: y
Info: Configuring dnscrypt-proxy...
Info: Checking dnscrypt-proxy configuration...
Info: Found previous dnscrypt-proxy config file
Info: How do you want to reconfigure:
Info: 1) Start from previous settings file
Info: 2) Start from default config
=> Your selection, [1-2]: 2
Info: Backing up previous settings file...
=> Do you want to redirect all DNS resolutions on your network through this proxy? [y/n]: n (i use some devices via DNS-Filter)
Info: DNS will not be forced through this proxy.
Info: Choose DNS resolving load balancing strategy:
1) p2 (default)
2) ph
3) first
4) random
=> Select your strategy, [1-4]: 1
=> Do you want to use load balance estimator to adjust resolvers based on latency calculations? [y/n]: y
Info: Choose how your DNS servers are selected:
1) Automatically (default)
2) Manually
3) Static
=> Select your mode, [1-3]: 2
=> Do you only want to use the Oblivious DNS-over-HTTPS protocol? [y/n]: n
Info: Available DNS servers:
24) cisco: Remove your DNS blind spot (DNSCrypt protocol)
25) cisco-doh: Remove your DNS blind spot (DoH protocol)
=> Please choose DNS server., [1-244]: 24
=> Please choose next DNS server or press n to stop., [1-244/n]: 25
=> Please choose next DNS server or press n to stop., [1-244/n]: n
=> Do you want to choose which Oblivious DNS-over-HTTPS DNS servers to enable? [y/n]: n
=> Do you want to add any static servers? [y/n]: n
Info: Evaluating the possibilities for other dnscrypt-proxy configurations such as relay support...
Info: Continue without Relays Support
Info: Set the DNS server(s) for initializing dnscrypt-proxy
Info: and router services (e.g. ntp) at boot
=> Default is 9.9.9.9:
=> 2nd Default is 8.8.8.8: 1.1.1.1
=> Set log level, default is 2, 0 is the most verbose, [0-6]: 2
Info: Writing dnscrypt-proxy configuration...
Info: Checking dnscrypt-proxy configuration...
[2022-01-08 21:48:41] [NOTICE] dnscrypt-proxy 2.1.1
[2022-01-08 21:48:41] [NOTICE] Dropping privileges
[2022-01-08 21:48:42] [NOTICE] Source [public-resolvers] loaded
[2022-01-08 21:48:42] [NOTICE] Source [relays] loaded
[2022-01-08 21:48:42] [NOTICE] Source [odoh-servers] loaded
[2022-01-08 21:48:42] [NOTICE] Source [odoh-relays] loaded
[2022-01-08 21:48:42] [NOTICE] Configuration successfully checked
=> Do you want to set up OpenDNS account ip update? [y/n]: y
=> Please enter OpenDNS username: BLABLA
=> Please enter OpenDNS password:
=> Please reenter OpenDNS password:

Also add: In dnscrypt installer menu
4) Set timezone
From Syslog:
Jan 8 21:53:26 RT-AX88U-6C58 izzt: Start dnscrypt-proxy
Jan 8 21:53:26 RT-AX88U-6C58 dnscrypt-proxy[2545]: dnscrypt-proxy 2.1.1
Jan 8 21:53:26 RT-AX88U-6C58 dnscrypt-proxy[2545]: Network connectivity detected
Jan 8 21:53:26 RT-AX88U-6C58 dnscrypt-proxy[2545]: Dropping privileges
Jan 8 21:53:26 RT-AX88U-6C58 dnscrypt-proxy[2545]: Network connectivity detected
Jan 8 21:53:26 RT-AX88U-6C58 dnscrypt-proxy[2545]: Now listening to 127.0.1.1:53 [UDP]
Jan 8 21:53:26 RT-AX88U-6C58 dnscrypt-proxy[2545]: Now listening to 127.0.1.1:53 [TCP]
Jan 8 21:53:26 RT-AX88U-6C58 dnscrypt-proxy[2545]: Source [public-resolvers] loaded
Jan 8 21:53:26 RT-AX88U-6C58 dnscrypt-proxy[2545]: Source [relays] loaded
Jan 8 21:53:26 RT-AX88U-6C58 dnscrypt-proxy[2545]: Source [odoh-servers] loaded
Jan 8 21:53:26 RT-AX88U-6C58 dnscrypt-proxy[2545]: Source [odoh-relays] loaded
Jan 8 21:53:26 RT-AX88U-6C58 dnscrypt-proxy[2545]: Firefox workaround initialized
Jan 8 21:53:26 RT-AX88U-6C58 dnscrypt-proxy[2545]: [cisco-doh] OK (DoH) - rtt: 7ms
Jan 8 21:53:26 RT-AX88U-6C58 dnscrypt-proxy[2545]: [cisco] OK (DNSCrypt) - rtt: 7ms
Jan 8 21:53:26 RT-AX88U-6C58 dnscrypt-proxy[2545]: Sorted latencies:
Jan 8 21:53:26 RT-AX88U-6C58 dnscrypt-proxy[2545]: - 7ms cisco-doh
Jan 8 21:53:26 RT-AX88U-6C58 dnscrypt-proxy[2545]: - 7ms cisco
Jan 8 21:53:26 RT-AX88U-6C58 dnscrypt-proxy[2545]: Server with the lowest initial latency: cisco-doh (rtt: 7ms)
Jan 8 21:53:26 RT-AX88U-6C58 dnscrypt-proxy[2545]: dnscrypt-proxy is ready - live servers: 2

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I'll give it another go, but can you tell me, do I first need to add my current IP address to OpenDNS (I'm assuming I do and I have now deleted the fixed IP I had with PlusNet)?

I presume also that I have to put the OpenDNS server addresses in the WAN settings, as I would have had to have done before, when I had a fixed IP. Is that correct?

OK, I think I've done it now. Do I need to reboot my router to finalise everything with Dnscrypt or should it just work? I have checked and I'm now using OpenDNS.

OK, I think I've done it now. Do I need to reboot my router to finalise everything with Dnscrypt or should it just work? I have checked and I'm now using OpenDNS.
Should be fine without reboot and you get info in syslog that it is working ;)

Should be fine without reboot and you get info in syslog that it is working ;)
OK thanks for confirming that. I'll check the log entries in the morning. What do I need to search for to know it's working properly?