OpenDNS with R7800

  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

jra505

Occasional Visitor
Dear all,

Has anyone had any success using OpenDNS with a R7800?

I'm running the latest Voxel firmware and the latest Kamoj add in. I've followed all the instructions to set up OpenDNS, and changed the DNS addresses on the router, to the ones they specify.

But, everytime I visit their test page I get the big red cross which indicates that it is not working.

Has anyone else got it working?

Thanks,

jra505
 

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Where did you change the DNS settings? Maybe post a couple of screen snips of the pertinent settings to help see your misconfiguration better. :)
 

jra505

Occasional Visitor
Hi

Here is where I changed the DNS settings on the router.

Thanks,

jra505
Screenshot_20210110_145640.jpg
 

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Seems you changed them in the correct spot (but that screen snip is too small and blurry for my eyes), but I see that you're in a double NAT setup too? That may be your issue.
 

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
The 192.168.0.1 IP, is that the router's LAN or WAN IP? (I'm guessing it was the WAN IP).

Is your modem in Bridged mode?
 

jra505

Occasional Visitor
Hi

The 192.168.0.1 is the router LAN IP. The modem is a Virgin Media super hub (so called) running in modem only mode. As far as I know it is not in bridged mode.

Thanks,

jra505
 

L&LD

Part of the Furniture

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Okay, sorry then, my misunderstanding!
 

jra505

Occasional Visitor
No worries.

Incidentally, if I manually change the DNS of my phone or PC, then OpenDNS does seem to work - so it does look as though there is an issue with my router not being configured correctly to pass the correct DNS servers to the connected devices.
 

R. Gerrits

Senior Member
No worries.

Incidentally, if I manually change the DNS of my phone or PC, then OpenDNS does seem to work - so it does look as though there is an issue with my router not being configured correctly to pass the correct DNS servers to the connected devices.
Then it works as designed -> normally router only passed itself as DNS server to the connected devices.
And dnsmasq on the router receives dns-requests from those devices and forwards those to the configured DNS servers.
On the connected devices, you cannot see which DNS server is eventually resolving the query.

So how do you conclude that OpenDNS is not working?

Configure the OpenDNS servers in the router, remove the Google DNS server and then try to resolve something from a client (or from the router) -> if it resolves then it is using OpenDNS. If it doesn't resolve, then you can conclude that indeed OpenDNS is not working.
But then it should also not work when configuring those DNS servers directly on a device.
 

jra505

Occasional Visitor
Hi

I concluded that it wasn't working because OpenDNS have a test page at https://welcome.opendns.com which returns a tick if it's working and cross if it isn't. I was getting the cross, but found that I could get the tick if I manually changed the DNS server addresses on my PC.

I actually eventually got it to work via the router anyway - I used this website https://www.dnsleaktest.com which told me that the DNS servers I was using were called DNSCrypt2 - I had previously activated this using Kamoj's add in, but had deactivated when I started using OpenDNS. Looks like the deactivation didn't work. I had to reactive and deactivate AGAIN and then it did. Now when I run https://www.dnsleaktest.com, from any of my devices, it tells me that I am using the OpenDNS DNS servers, so all is good.
 

Sizzlechest

Regular Contributor
Hi

I concluded that it wasn't working because OpenDNS have a test page at https://welcome.opendns.com which returns a tick if it's working and cross if it isn't. I was getting the cross, but found that I could get the tick if I manually changed the DNS server addresses on my PC.

I actually eventually got it to work via the router anyway - I used this website https://www.dnsleaktest.com which told me that the DNS servers I was using were called DNSCrypt2 - I had previously activated this using Kamoj's add in, but had deactivated when I started using OpenDNS. Looks like the deactivation didn't work. I had to reactive and deactivate AGAIN and then it did. Now when I run https://www.dnsleaktest.com, from any of my devices, it tells me that I am using the OpenDNS DNS servers, so all is good.

You can configure DNSCrypt to use OpenDNS. You have to change the configuration file to use those servers.
 

Similar threads

Latest threads

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!
Top