What's new

Opening port 25 on AX88 router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cityhorizon

Occasional Visitor
I am unable to telnet to my ASUS router as shown below:

telnet 192.168.5.1 25
Trying 192.168.5.1...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

I have used port forwading to forward the port to a local device but the application cannot go past the router.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Telnet port is 23, NOT 25. You shouldn't even need to reference the port #. The IP is sufficient.

BTW, I'm not even sure ASUS stock firmware still allows telnet access. I know on Merlin it doesn't. It might be limited to ssh (port 22).

Asus specific questions should go in the relevant Asus subforum.

Why are you using the router's LAN address if you're trying to connect to another LAN client?

If you're trying to use NAT loopback you need to use the router's WAN address.

Telnet port is 23, NOT 25. You shouldn't even need to reference the port #. The IP is sufficient.

BTW, I'm not even sure ASUS stock firmware still allows telnet access. I know on Merlin it doesn't. It might be limited to ssh (port 22).
May be I am not clear with my question. I want to open port 25 on the router so I can send out emails using an email application on a device on my home network. My ISP does not block port 25.

May be I am not clear with my question. I want to open port 25 on the router so I can send out emails using an email application on a device on my home network. My ISP does not block port 25.
All outgoing ports are open by default. You don't need to do anything like port forwarding (that's for incoming connections).

All outgoing ports are open by default. You don't need to do anything like port forwarding (that's for incoming connections).
I wonder then why my email is failing to go out and telnet to port 25 on the ASUS router is refused connection. When I just tried to telnet to my WAN IP on port 25 there was not problem in connecting.
I will see if I can use the WAN IP for the application.
Many thanks for your help.

I wonder then why ... telnet to port 25 on the ASUS router is refused connection.
The router isn't running an email server (or any other server) on port 25 on its LAN interface.

When I just tried to telnet to my WAN IP on port 25 there was not problem in connecting.
It sounds like you're now talking about incoming SMTP traffic to a local mail server whereas before you said it was outgoing traffic from a client.

Of course if you're now forwarding port 25 on your router's WAN interface to a mail server that's going to be a huge security concern.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!