What's new

Opening port 631

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mediaman

Regular Contributor
I am trying to get my newly added iMac to print my shared windows printers, using IP protocol, and I get results as follows:

-Connecting to 10.0. xx.xxx on Port 631..
-Unable to Connect to IPP Host
-Operation time out

I turned off Window firewall but it did had no impact ; I assume this means I need to open port 631 on the router (DIR-655)

Where do I do this?

1) Virtual Server?T eg set public to 631, private to 631, protocol number 6?? Protocol to TCP? Inbound Filter=Allow All, IP Address to the address of the MAC...and checkmark is on?

2) Application Rules ?

3) Port Forwarding ?

4) Firewall settings ?

Thanks

I assume this means I need to open port 631 on the router (DIR-655)

Nope.

Have you set up Mac<>PC sharing before? If not, I'm inclined to believe that you're not following the instructions properly, or the instructions themselves may not be that well written. I recommend finding another guide, in hopes of getting another perspective.

Okay, so if you know its not the router, then what is it?

Have I been following instructions properly?? Hah !! You have no idea how long I have been at this - see the whole sorry tale here. Was hoping the router setting was the light at the end of the tunnel, but I guess I am back in the dark.

I will be throwing in the towel though . the mac wins... I give up ...absolute insanity.

I dont think it can be done, or at least not without a years effort and an army of experts, so I am resigned to that fact that:
-I will need to move a printer directly to the mac
-I will not be able to share any other printers from the mac
-I will not easily be able to share the mac printer (without installing products like bojour software on all machines, which I refuse to do as based on experince to date.

Love the mac commercials, nice computer and all , but not impressed with all the frustration.

Are you able to access a shared folder on the PC w/ printer via the Mac?

I am trying to get my newly added iMac to print my shared windows printers, using IP protocol
IPP is Internet Printing Protocol. Basically this is a service that has to be running that intercepts IPP commands sent from the device doing to printing to the print server.

The message basically means that your Mac is trying to print using IPP and not finding an IPP server to connect to.

How is the printer that you are trying to print to shared? Is it a networked printer (built-in Ethernet), connected to a print server or a printer on a Windows machine. If on a Windows machine, what version?

You should (I think) be able to print via SMB, which a Windows shared printer should support. But being able to browse to the printer is half the battle. Then you need a Mac driver for the printer. This is where I hit the wall when I tried to do what you are trying to do.

Yes, I can share files in both directions. This is strictly a shared printer issue.

I did not make the problem easy given :

-I am a brand new mac user
-I am trying to get the mac to see USB printers on windows machines
-I have priniters on both Vista(Home) and XP(SP3 machines
-I want all machines to be able to share all printers
-My printers are notoriously difficult to work on a Mac even if directly connected ( HP1020 and HP 1600)

Printing via SMB was hell, but finally did work for Canon printers ; had issues though with the HP; many workrounds posted -tried many but could not find any that would work correctly. They all reproted no errors, completed and finished at the Mac end, and stayed in the queue at the Windows end. So yes, its only half the battle, and this is were we both hit the same wall.

I found a post here specially dealing with VISTA, using IPP/LPD but that led to the open port 631 issue ; another dead end.

I have since re-arranged so all printers are now on XP machines, as XP is the common thread - in that it can talk to VISTA and at times the MAC.

AND THEN I FOUND THE HOLY GRAIL

See http://iharder.sourceforge.net/current/macosx/winmacprinter/

This is an LPD solution, for printers on XP maxhines, and used postscript emulation (Ghostscript) and port redirection, and is straghtforwatd to configure, . As a test I printed the colour instructions (text and graphics) from a mac, to an HP1600 connected to an XP machine! ... and to my amazement, it actually works!

I plan to set up the 1020 the same way so I will have multiple printers available to both mac and pc.

Finally a good day!

Last edited:
See http://iharder.sourceforge.net/current/macosx/winmacprinter/

This is an LPD solution, for printers on XP maxhines, and used postscript emulation (Ghostscript) and port redirection, and is straghtforwatd to configure, . As a test I printed the colour instructions (text and graphics) from a mac, to an HP1600 connected to an XP machine! ... and to my amazement, it actually works!
Thanks for reporting the solution. You have way more patience than I do! I would have just bagged it and bought a printer for the Mac.