What's new

OpenVNP configuration help....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

trek_520

Regular Contributor
Hi, I am using Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.354.29 on my N66U and trying to get OpenVPN up and running.

To be clear I am trying to use the latest version 2.3.2 of OpenVPN where the easy-rsa part is a separate download. If someone an help me out I would appreciate it.

Some history of what I have done/tried>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have searched and found several guides that refer to earlier versions like:
http://www.howtogeek.com/60774/connect-to-your-home-network-from-anywhere-with-openvpn-and-tomato/

and

http://www.yasti.be/?p=149

I have also searched this form and found out that easy-rsa is no longer a part of the installer:

topic12096.html

So I got the easy-rsa master from here:
https://github.com/OpenVPN/easy-rsa

More -
but I had read the 'init-config' command was supposed to copy vars.bat and openssl.cnf into the easy-rsa folder. The first worked, but the openssl.cnf was not created, hence while I copied it manually. not sure if I should use the file from the 1.0 or 2.0 directly. I assume 2.0 represents the version of OpenVPN client software.

Here are some things I did -
1) copied the "windows" folder contents from the easy-rsa master folder I downloaded into Program Files\OpenVPN\easy-rsa
2. copied the openssl-1.0.0.cnf from the 2.0 folder in the master package to Program Files\OpenVPN\easy-rsa
3. I manually created a "vars" and "keys" folder in Program Files\OpenVPN\easy-rsa
4. I then copied the index.txt and serial.start to the new keys folder.
5. I tried following the from the readme file included in the windows folder in the Master file including editing the vars.bat file to the correct parameters including the changing the folder names -

@echo off
rem Edit this variable to point to
rem the openssl.cnf file included
rem with easy-rsa.

set HOME=C:\PROGRA~1\OpenVPN\easy-rsa
set KEY_CONFIG=openssl-1.0.0.cnf

rem Edit this variable to point to
rem your soon-to-be-created key
rem directory.
rem
rem WARNING: clean-all will do
rem a rm -rf on this directory
rem so make sure you define
rem it correctly!
set KEY_DIR=C:\PROGRA~1\OpenVPN\easy-rsa\keys

rem Increase this to 2048 if you
rem are paranoid. This will slow
rem down TLS negotiation performance
rem as well as the one-time DH parms
rem generation process.
set KEY_SIZE=2048

When I start running the CMD prompt commands I get the error - 'openssl' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I get the impression it cannot find the file - what am I doing wrong? I am running windows 7 64bit.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
hmmm I must have missed the all option. I will try this now on another computer. Thanks for your help.

Hi - still working through this. Did you get the client side to work?

Also in the guide did you do the client and SERVER config files? This was the only tutorial the indicated you need to change those items. I am trying it out of the gate without.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!