What's new

OPENVPN and Asus CPU hardware acceleration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just read this blog article https://www.privateinternetaccess.c...celeration-is-here-for-routers-using-openvpn/ which was very interesting.
This is talking about the openvpn client, so should you get the same offloading benefits if using the openvpn server option within merlin/asus?
From what I understand the RT-AC86U and RT-AX88U (both Merlin compatible) should have the best OpenVPN throughput (for Asus routers).

From my quick basic tests there is really no AC performance differences between the two models and simply moving the router 1 foot higher or moving the antenna 10 degrees can make the one router have better speed and distance than the other making the AC86U the winner cost wise unless you have AX compatible devices.

If your internet speed is below 200 Mb/s even the RT-AC86U will be overkill VPN throughput wise. If you have a wired setup and a 500Mb/s+ connection then running OpenVPN on your actual computer will yield better throughput (with a decent i7 processor etc). I was talking about using the VPN Client option but if you are using the Server option I would think the pattern would be the same but instead of download speed it would be upload speed. So basically unless your upload speed is way above 200Mb/s I would think the AC86U would be no bottleneck. Also I don't think using Merlin vs. factory OS has any effect on the hardware acceleration of the processor.

Just to confirm RT-AC86U hits 225Mbps through VPN on the Client side.
I was going to build a pfSence Intel i5 based router and put the project on hold when I found what this router is capable of. :)

FYI,
g9_183608.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!