What's new

Openvpn client on RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

viper111

Occasional Visitor
Hi folks,

I have issues to setup the openvpn client on this router!
Server is a OPENVPN ACCESS Server I connect to, works on my windows machine behind the router.

here the logs:
Code:
Dec 19 18:41:04 rc_service: httpd 855:notify_rc restart_vpncall
Dec 19 18:41:06 vpnclient5[2010]: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in config.ovpn:50: block-outside-dns (2.4.11)

Last edited:
Server is a OPENVPN ACCESS Server I connect to Works on my windows machine behind the router.

Use OpenVPN Client Connect for Windows and connect your PC only. You don't need to use router's VPN client.

Please, update your thread title. It doesn't say anything about your issue. RT-AC68U is a router model. Thank you!

Thanks Tech9,

but if I do that I would have to use it on all my clients!
The server version is OpenVPN 2.4.7 x86_64

THX

I'm not very sure what exactly you are trying to do. What's the idea?
I was thinking the PC has to be connected to some remote VPN server. Connecting the router to VPN server on your LAN doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Do you want all your traffic through public VPN server? Is it NordVPN? What you should know in advance - your router will cut down the speeds to 50Mbps or less. It’s a CPU limitation. There are other inconveniences and limitations when running network-wide VPN.

What makes you feel sending data through 3rd company makes it more protected? Billion people exchange terabytes of data over Internet as we speak using mobile and fixed service ISP's. Are they all unprotected? With all-network VPN you'll have more issues than benefits. The speed is lower, the latency is much higher, VPN exit nodes are regularly blacklisted. You'll be denied access to websites and services, you'll be asked multiple times to authenticate yourself when accessing common accounts. Is the data you are going to send something illegal?

Hi Tech9,
:mad:

You trying to make me feel bad? I do not appreciate that!
No hard feelings, but I just want to setup a VPN Client on my router.
Giving me a lecture what people do on the internet, is not what I ask.
The 3rd company you talking about, is me, I own that server!
Nordvpn was only an example, you just assume, that I have an account with
them!
What I'm trying to do, is to send data over the internet,
Maybe it is me naked and I don't want nobody to see it!
Or maybe some people just want a little help to get in the right direction.

Viper111

When you need help, better answer the questions you were asked.
Post #1 - edited after my reply, changing the possible meaning
Post #5 - irrelevant link
Post #7 - answering my questions with a question
Post #9 - this is where your keyboard malfunctioned, I assume
Post #11 - this is where you fixed the keyboard

Here is a hint for you:
--block-outside-dns
Block DNS servers on other network adapters to prevent DNS leaks. This option prevents any application from accessing TCP or UDP port 53 except one inside the tunnel. It uses Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) and works on Windows Vista or later. This option is considered unknown on non-Windows platforms and unsupported on Windows XP, resulting in fatal error.

Check your server configuration, re-export the .ovpn file, re-import it to your router's VPN client. Try again. Look at Asuswrt-Merlin firmware for more VPN Client options and Policy Based Routing. VPN Client in stock Asuswrt is limited to all or nothing with no kill switch.

Last edited: