What's new

OpenVPN Client routing setup issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shanetrain

New Around Here
I have an 87r that is running Merlins latest firmware, .56.

My objective seems simple, but I am struggling to figure out how to get this working properly.

I want to keep all clients behind the router tunneled through the VPN.

I want to have one application on one of my clients to be able to connect to a news server, via a proxy server, outside the VPN.

The issues I am running into:

Using the selective routing option in the VPN client GUI, no matter what I do, I cannot get my entire network to route through the VPN.

I understand that when you turn policy routing on, everything will then go through the WAN.

I want the opposite, and to just have my newsreader, on one client, connect via the WAN, to my news server, via a proxy server.

The second question, once I can figure out the above, is how to connect to the news server, which only has a domain name, which I am going to assume has a dynamic ip, or should I be setting up my rule to connect to the proxy server, which also could be having a dynamic ip, as well?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I have been trying to figure this out for 2 days and am frustrated.

My router ip is 192.168.2.2 and all clients are 192.168.2.x.

I have tried 0.0.0.0 to 0.0.0.0 to use vpn and 192.168.2.x client to use wan to specific ip, but every client shows as going through the wan, still.

Thanks for any help, in advance!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Answered my own questions. If anyone needs help with my specific scenes above, in the future, hit me up.

Answered my own questions. If anyone needs help with my specific scenes above, in the future, hit me up.

Wouldn't it be simpler and better to just post the solution today?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!