What's new

OpenVPN client speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JBerg

New Around Here
Hello guys,

I use an Asus RT-AC66U with the latest Merlin-wrt firmware. I configured the OpenVPN client profile to direct all traffic through the Torguard's VPN server.

However, I'm maximized on speed with 10mbps while normally it's 120mbps without the profile.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Hello guys,

I use an Asus RT-AC66U with the latest Merlin-wrt firmware. I configured the OpenVPN client profile to direct all traffic through the Torguard's VPN server.

However, I'm maximized on speed with 10mbps while normally it's 120mbps without the profile.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

That's about what you can expect out of that router's 600 MHz CPU.

Last edited:
Should actually specify which version of the firmware you're using as the latest varies over time. For the Torguard setup are you using TCP or UDP? What Encryption are you using? What speedtest service are you using for your test? Do you have QOS enabled?

I have a RT-AC68u on 60 mbps and I am only getting 7mbps when openvpn on pia vpn is being used. CPU load is 40% so I guess that's about what to expect. Running 378.56_2

To be complete:

Start with WAN : YES
Interface Type: TUN
Protocol: UDP
Server Address and Port: nl.torguardvpnaccess.com:443
Firewall: AUTOMATIC
Authorization Mode: TLS
Username/Password Authentication: YES
Username: EMAIL
Password: Torguard pw
Username / Password Auth. Only: NO
Extra HMAC authorization: Disabled
Create NAT on tunnel: YES
Poll Interval: 0
Accept DNS Configuration: STRICT
Encryption cipher: DEFAULT
Compression: ADAPTIVE
TLS Renegotiation Time: DEFAULT
Connection Retry: INFINITE
Verify Server Certificate: NO
Redirect Internet traffic: NO
Custom configuration:
remote-random
tun-mtu 1500
tun-mtu-extra 32
mssfix 1450
fast-io
ping-restart 0
float

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925K met Tapatalk

Thank you for your quick and honest reply. Is there any router that will feed my need?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925K met Tapatalk

None in the home user market. The fastest Asus models (RT-AC87U and RT-AC3200) will give you about 50-60 Mbps max. To reach any faster speed you will need to move to a business-grade product that has hardware VPN acceleration, or a PC.

None in the home user market. The fastest Asus models (RT-AC87U and RT-AC3200) will give you about 50-60 Mbps max. To reach any faster speed you will need to move to a business-grade product that has hardware VPN acceleration, or a PC.
Thanks again for your reply. I know what to do/get!
Please keep up the amazing work you do.

I have a RT-AC68u on 60 mbps and I am only getting 7mbps when openvpn on pia vpn is being used. CPU load is 40% so I guess that's about what to expect. Running 378.56_2

I think that's because of PIA. That router should go 10+ mbit easily.

Shouldn't new RT-AC88U give him more then that since it's 1400MHz dual CPU?

Shouldn't new RT-AC88U give him more then that since it's 1400MHz dual CPU?

Yes, but it's not on the market right now. Will be sometime before the end of the month, in some countries.

Well, since you have direct access to them, you could arrange special Black Friday international sale for forum members. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!