What's new

OpenVPN Client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Farness

Occasional Visitor
Morning all.

I have a RT-AX88U configured with a NordVPN client using OpenVPN.

All working well, except that when I disable the VPN client I lose internet. Seems it is forcing me to use it whether it is enabled or not, some sort of Network Lock feature or similar?

Like to be able to disable this so I can disable the VPN for a short period if I need to, but cannot see how, any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

I assume you're using stock firmware, NOT third-party like Merlin. Because on older versions of Merlin, the kill switch was designed to prevent ALL internet access, even if the OpenVPN client was disabled. You would have to take the extra step to disable the kill switch on the OpenVPN client GUI to disable that specific feature, even if the OpenVPN client was otherwise disabled. But many users balked at that behavior and so it was changed so that once you disabled the OpenVPN client and did NOT have it set to auto-start on bootup, the kill switch would NOT be in effect.

If you're using stock firmware, it might be behaving similarly. I can't say for sure since I don't use the stock firmware, only Merlin. But the behavior you're describing seems similar, and might require explicitly disabling the kill switch.

Thanks eibgrad, I assumed it was something like a kill switch but cannot locate it. I am using stock firmware, any ideas where to look?

Thanks eibgrad, I assumed it was something like a kill switch but cannot locate it. I am using stock firmware, any ideas where to look?

Again, NOT being a user of the OEM firmware, I'm limited in how I can help. It's usually an option on the OpenVPN client configuration though. I was hoping there was a direct parallel to the Merlin firmware, but if there isn't, I can't provide much more help.

Nothing there from what I can see but appreciate your input. I may just have to delete the profile.

Yes lots on the Nord site re Kill Switch options, but none specific to a Router. Nord tells me the option does not exist on a router, only apps.

Last edited: