What's new

OpenVPN Connect on Windows doesn't change IP but on Android it does

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ChackieJan

New Around Here
Hello all,
I have a VPN server configured on a Asus RT-AC1900 running Merlin 386.10 with the below settings. I export the .ovpn configuration, and I'm able to connect fine on my Android device using OpenVPN Connect. I check whatismyipaddress.com, and I see that it shows up as an IP from my home ISP. I disconnect from OpenVPN on my phone and enable tethering so my W11 laptop can connect to my phone. Without connecting to OpenVPN on my laptop, I go to check my IP and it shows up as T-Mobile, my mobile carrier. I turn on OpenVPN on my laptop and try again. This time it still detects my ISP as T-Mobile even though I'm connected to my home VPN. Am I doing something wrong?

Interface TypeTUN
ProtocolUDP
Authentication ModeTLS
Username/Password AuthenticationYes
Username / Password Auth. OnlyNo
TLS control channel securityEncrypt Channel
HMAC AuthenticationSHA-1
Advertise DNS to clientsNo
Data ciphersCHACHA20-POLY1305:AES-128-GCM:AES-256-GCM:AES-128-CBC:AES-256-CBC
CompressionDisabled
Manage Client-Specific OptionsNo
Custom Configurationpush "redirect-gateway def1"
Client will use VPN to accessBoth (LAN and Internet)

I think when your phone is in "tethering mode" it only uses the mobile connection, not the Wi-Fi. Do you really mean tethering, i.e. your phone is connected to the laptop with a USB cable? Or do you mean the phone is operating as a Wi-Fi hotspot?

I think when your phone is in "tethering mode" it only uses the mobile connection, not the Wi-Fi. Do you really mean tethering, i.e. your phone is connected to the laptop with a USB cable? Or do you mean the phone is operating as a Wi-Fi hotspot?
I mean when my phone is used as a wifi hotspot. I connect from my laptop to the wifi generated from my phone.