What's new

OpenVPN Connect Problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I've been able to connect to my RT-AX88U router via OpenVPN without any problems until today, but a few things have changed and I could with some guidance as to how to troubleshoot this, possibly this evening UK time if I have a spare moment.

This is what has changed since my last successful connection:-

I've changed my mobile phone from a Samsung Galaxy A3 to a Samsung Galaxy A22, using the suggested Samsung Smart Switch app to copy all my apps and data across.
I've changed my antivirus software from Kaspersky to AVG (personal protest about what is happening in Ukraine).

I've copied a fresh VPN configuration file from my router to my new phone.
I haven't tried disabling the antivirus on the phone yet as I'm not sure how to do it.
I plan to see if I can still access the VPN from my laptop by disconnecting from my Wi-Fi network and using the tethering function on the phone. I'll update this thread on the result of this test later on this evening.

Are there likely to be any clues in the router logs and if so, what would I need to look for? The message I get on the phone is "authentication failed".

I've found the answer to my problem. I've set up all the VPN access accounts again on the router and everything is working fine now.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!