OpenVPN DNS Selective Routing Questions

vwsplitty1980

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have been running my n66 for a good couple of years now and love the merlin firmware. Now since i have updated to a new version (378.55 in my case) i thought i would have a go at using the selective routing with openvpn.

I have my openvpn cilent via AirVPN up and running and i have selected it to only route one of my devices via the VPN. It seems to be working but i have a couple of questions regarding DNS.

1. Can someone please tell me the difference in the vpn dns options of: Disabled,relaxed,strict,exclusive?

2. How can i get all my normal devices to use comodo dns as it does now and then my one vpn device to use the airvpn dns?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 757

Martineau

Part of the Furniture
Hi,

I have been running my n66 for a good couple of years now and love the merlin firmware. Now since i have updated to a new version (378.55 in my case) i thought i would have a go at using the selective routing with openvpn.

I have my openvpn cilent via AirVPN up and running and i have selected it to only route one of my devices via the VPN. It seems to be working but i have a couple of questions regarding DNS.

1. Can someone please tell me the difference in the vpn dns options of: Disabled,relaxed,strict,exclusive?

2. How can i get all my normal devices to use comodo dns as it does now and then my one vpn device to use the airvpn dns?

I could be wrong, but these would be my answers:

A. 1
Code:
Disabled = DNS servers sent by VPN-provided DNS server are ignored
Relaxed = DNS servers sent by VPN-provided DNS server are prepended to the current list of DNS servers, of which any can be used
Strict = DNS servers sent by the VPN-provided DNS server are prepended to the current list of DNS servers, which are used in order (existing DNS servers are only used if VPN-provided ones don't respond)
Exclusive = only the VPN-provided DNS servers are used

A. 2
Code:
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/selective-routing-with-asuswrt-merlin.9311/page-21#post-216368

Last edited:

vwsplitty1980

Occasional Visitor

A. 1
Code:
Relaxed = DNS servers sent by VPN-provided DNS server are prepended to the current list of DNS servers, of which any can be used
Strict = DNS servers sent by the VPN-provided DNS server are prepended to the current list of DNS servers, which are used in order (existing DNS servers are only used if VPN-provided ones don't respond)

A. 2
Code:
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/selective-routing-with-asuswrt-merlin.9311/page-21#post-216368

Thank for the rest info will have s play around and let you know.

vwsplitty1980

Occasional Visitor

A. 1
Code:

A. 2
Code:

Just to let you know that worked.

But today i had no internet connectivity, long story short i did not have the openvpn client running and for some reason all my clients decided to use the vpn dns even thoe via parental control i selected just the one device to use this.

i can not work out why this would happen?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!