What's new

OpenVPN Internet issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Broken Hope

Regular Contributor
I've set up an OpenVPN server on my router, I can connect to it using my iPhone, but not all websites are working, some work, others time out, any idea what could be causing this?

I've set up an OpenVPN server on my router, I can connect to it using my iPhone, but not all websites are working, some work, others time out, any idea what could be causing this?

Are you when you connect to your VPN server you are outside your home connecting from the WAN?

What is the upload and download speed of your home Internet connection?

Remember if you are connecting to the server on your router your remote download speed is limited to the upload speed of your home Internet. It is possible that this connection is so slow that some websites requiring large amounts of data transfer are timing out.

I was connecting over my 4G mobile connection, I've just managed to resolve it, I'd changed the cipher negotiation and compression from the defaults in Merlin, once I switched those back it's behaving as it should, I was under the impression that VPN Connect on iOS should be able to support Cipher negotiation set to enable and LZ4-V2 compression, guess not.