What's new

OpenVPN & IPv6

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pft0

New Around Here
Dear all,

I had been able to setup openvpn server on my ac66u_b1 and my ISP had native IPv6 /w DHCP-PD, and my wireless clients mostly could work with IPv6, but my OpenVPN client seems to have problem with browsing the web with IPv6, I can ping ipv6.google.com and could ping the OpenVPN client IPv6 address from the Internet, but it just couldn't do anything else, do I need to add extra route to OpenVPN server or the router itself?
I am using firmware 380.67

IPv6 is not currently supported by OpenVPN.

Thanks for your reply.
You mean Asus firmware OpenVPN is not IPv6 supported, right? Because from the OpenVPN documentation, it has full Ipv6 capabilities from in version 2.4, anywhere I could pester Asus to compile the IPv6 support of OpenVPN?

You mean Asus firmware OpenVPN is not IPv6 supported, right?

That's correct.

It's not just a matter of compiling OpenVPN with IPv6 support, it's about re-designing the whole webui to support both IPv4 and IPv6, reconfiguring the firewall to support IPv6, and testing the whole thing - my ISP doesn't support IPv6 so I wouldn't be able to test it anyway.

That's correct.

It's not just a matter of compiling OpenVPN with IPv6 support, it's about re-designing the whole webui to support both IPv4 and IPv6, reconfiguring the firewall to support IPv6, and testing the whole thing - my ISP doesn't support IPv6 so I wouldn't be able to test it anyway.

Update:
I added a few lines to ip6tables and everything worked like a charm:
ip6tables -I FORWARD 6 -i tun21 -j ACCEPT

maybe Asus just forgot;) to add this to the ip6tables when they add IPv6 support and updated OpenVPN server.

Update:

maybe Asus just forgot;) to add this to the ip6tables when they add IPv6 support and updated OpenVPN server.

I don't know how to add this codes into ip6tables, could you show me the detail?

I don't know how to add this codes into ip6tables, could you show me the detail?
I would be interested in this too. Is it just a script /jffs/scripts/firewall-start ?

Code:
#!/bin/sh

logger "firewall" "Applying firewall-start rules"

It maybe working. I don't use VPN much, really only to test, but before I had issues that it wouldn't work at all with having ip6 active at the same time as the VPN. Now I can make a connection remotely. I don't have an ip6 when I try to go out on the network but at least it works.

Update:

I know this is a very old thread, but if you are still running OpenDNS server with IPv6 support on Asuswrt-Merlin, did you also need to amend the OpenVPN Server config and if so can you point me towards how you did that and what else what is necessary - I have native IPv6 from my ISP with DHCP-PD. As my addresses are sticky - dynamic, I will also be changing my DDNS provider to one that supports IPV6.

Thank you