Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

OpenVPN is using WAN IP instead of custom DDNS hostname for client.ovpn

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by KLM_SpitFire, Jan 11, 2017.

1. KLM_SpitFire

KLM_SpitFire New Around Here

I registered a custom hostname with DuckDNS and configured my router (fw 380.64_2) to keep it updated using the instructions found here https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Custom-DDNS. Everything seems to be working, and when looking at the router's log file it would appear the router successfully completes custom DDNS updates. However, when I export an OpenVPN client file through the GUI and view the contents of the file, the line in the file specifying the remote and port contains my router's WAN address, not the custom DDNS hostname I set. If I manually edit this file my VPN client connects perfectly fine, but the process is a bit tedious if I frequently generate new client files.

Help? Lol.

The DDNS settings (under WAN) are set as follows...
    Server: Custom
    Host Name: notmyrealsubdomain.duckdns.org

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2. KLM_SpitFire

KLM_SpitFire New Around Here