What's new

OpenVPN issues after 3.863_2 upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ko922

New Around Here
Recently updated to 3.863_2 and i'm getting VPN authentication issues on server 2 which utilizes a cert & UN/pw. Initially the errors seemed to indicate that it was having issues with the fact i was using SHA1 for my signature on the certs.. i since re-signed certs with SHA256 and that error went away, still getting the following errors:

Sep 6 05:46:36 ovpn-server2[10548]: xx.xx.xx.xx:49198 OpenSSL: error:1417C0C7:lib(20):func(380):reason(199)
Sep 6 05:46:36 ovpn-server2[10548]: xx.xx.xx.xx:9198 TLS_ERROR: BIO read tls_read_plaintext error
Sep 6 05:46:36 ovpn-server2[10548]: xx.xx.xx.xx:749198 TLS Error: TLS object -> incoming plaintext read error
Sep 6 05:46:36 ovpn-server2[10548]: xx.xx.xx.xx:49198 TLS Error: TLS handshake failed
Sep 6 05:46:36 ovpn-server2[10548]: xx.xx.xx.xx:49198 Fatal TLS error (check_tls_errors_co), restarting
Sep 6 05:46:36 ovpn-server2[10548]: xx.xx.xx.xx:49198 SIGUSR1[soft,tls-error] received, client-instance restarting

Been trying to figure things out and noticed a few other anomalies.

1) The "show passwords" button is no longer in existence
2) when I delete a vpn user and hit apply it doesn't actually delete them

Also, the first entry for the user list is admin with a "-" in the password area and no delete button to delete that user from the VPN pool. Is this normal? I don't recall it and it doesn't act like that on the PPTP server.

Welcome to the forums @ko922.

What router are you talking about? What firmware was running on it previously? When was the last time you did a full reset to factory defaults and then minimally and manually configured the router without using an old saved backup config file?

Did you read the changes that VPN Director brings to the latest firmware in the changelogs?

Changelog | Asuswrt-Merlin

Did you flush your browser cache? Or, reboot the router and/or the client device you're using to manage it?

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

All great questions, sorry I didn't include. It is a Asus 88U, was running 3.862 previously. I have not read up on all the details of VPN director but the limited info I know about it would indicate that controls traffic after a VPN connection is established, right? It isn't getting that far due to the cert issue. I have flushed browser, rebooted router.

You have to be more specific. What router? What firmware? The ones you provided are not model or firmware versions.