What's new

OpenVPN + LOCAL LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spawn

Occasional Visitor
Hello together, I am using ASUS ROG 5300 router and didn't realize that there is no Merlin firmware for it. Now I am stuck with basic configurations but I still hope that someone can help me here.

I am using VPN fusion (which is actually pretty cool), using my apple tv's (DNS 8.8.8.8) to connect to the VPN (openVPN) but keeping the rest of the devices on normal ISP network. This morning I woke up and realized that I couldnt connect to my local lan via the apple tv's (connecting to plex on NAS) and via a quick check with the VPN provider they told me that the SMARTDNS is making problems which I presume is also causing this.

Is there any way to tell my router to not use the vpn for inside connections? I know that at Merlin there is a functionality push lan to clients but the original 5300 firmware doesnt have it... :(

Appreciate help.

THANKS

Hello together, I am using ASUS ROG 5300 router and didn't realize that there is no Merlin firmware for it. Now I am stuck with basic configurations but I still hope that someone can help me here.

I am using VPN fusion (which is actually pretty cool), using my apple tv's (DNS 8.8.8.8) to connect to the VPN (openVPN) but keeping the rest of the devices on normal ISP network. This morning I woke up and realized that I couldnt connect to my local lan via the apple tv's (connecting to plex on NAS) and via a quick check with the VPN provider they told me that the SMARTDNS is making problems which I presume is also causing this.

Is there any way to tell my router to not use the vpn for inside connections? I know that at Merlin there is a functionality push lan to clients but the original 5300 firmware doesnt have it... :(

Appreciate help.

THANKS

Nobody can help?

my local lan via the apple tv's (connecting to plex on NAS)

Are you set the connection option as DDNS ?

Then try to add this line in openvpn client config file, but I am not sure stock firmware support custom configuration for openvpn.

Code:
route DDNS 255.255.255.255 net_gateway

Are you set the connection option as DDNS ?

Then try to add this line in openvpn client config file, but I am not sure stock firmware support custom configuration for openvpn.

Code:
route DDNS 255.255.255.255 net_gateway

No static IP on the apple TV.

In that case it should be route "Apple TV IP" 255.255.255.0 net_gateway correct?

So route local traffic through net_gateway.

I just add the line into the openvpn file? In the beginning?

OpenVPN file:

dev tun
fast-io
persist-key
persist-tun
nobind
remote XXXXXX

remote-random
pull
comp-lzo
tls-client
verify-x509-name Server name-prefix
ns-cert-type server
key-direction 1
route-method exe
route-delay 2
tun-mtu 1500
fragment 1300
mssfix 1450
verb 3
cipher AES-256-CBC
keysize 256
auth SHA512
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288
auth-user-pass

<cert>
...more

No static IP on the apple TV.

In that case it should be route "Apple TV IP" 255.255.255.0 net_gateway correct?

So route local traffic through net_gateway.

I just add the line into the openvpn file? In the beginning?

OpenVPN file:

dev tun
fast-io
persist-key
persist-tun
nobind
remote XXXXXX

remote-random
pull
comp-lzo
tls-client
verify-x509-name Server name-prefix
ns-cert-type server
key-direction 1
route-method exe
route-delay 2
tun-mtu 1500
fragment 1300
mssfix 1450
verb 3
cipher AES-256-CBC
keysize 256
auth SHA512
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288
auth-user-pass

<cert>
...more

Can someone please give final instructions? THX

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!