What's new

OpenVPN - Merlin 380.67 on RT-AC3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

armsAC3100

Regular Contributor
I have configured my RT-AC3100 to provide OpenVPN Server support. I am new to OpenVPN and have what may be a "dumb user" question. I had configured an OpenVPN server and was able to set up off network access from my Windows 10 PC, Android phone and Android tablet.
After updating from 380.66 to 380.67 my OpenVPN access stopped working on all three devices. I had to download / install a new OPVN file on my PC and Android devices to get VPN access working again.
Is this normal operation and something that must be done each time to router firmware is updated or was this unique to the 380.68 update?
Not a big problem as long as I know ahead of time what to expect and can plan the steps.

Al

Is this normal operation and something that must be done each time to router firmware is updated or was this unique to the 380.68 update?

It shouldn't. Chances are something changed, possibly your WAN IP (if you don't use a DDNS).

It shouldn't. Chances are something Thanks, possibly your WAN IP (if you don't use a DDNS).

Thanks. I do have a DDNS service that is related to my NAS. The NAS had a major firmware and Certificate update between the two router updates and / VPN configurations. Perhaps that can explain change. I'll keep closer track the next time. The VPN server performance surprised me. I only lost a bit over 15% on downloads accessing DSL reports speed test (85+ Mbps vs 100+ Mbps) vs direct connection. Uploads were the same at 25 Mbps.

Thanks for the great firmware !
Regards, Al

Thanks. I do have a DDNS service that is related to my NAS. The NAS had a major firmware and Certificate update between the two router updates and / VPN configurations. Perhaps that can explain change. I'll keep closer track the next time. The VPN server performance surprised me. I only lost a bit over 15% on downloads accessing DSL reports speed test (85+ Mbps vs 100+ Mbps) vs direct connection. Uploads were the same at 25 Mbps.

Thanks for the great firmware !
Regards, Al

Check what's in your .ovpn file. If the DDNS is handled by the NAS, then the router doesn't know about it, so it will use the WAN IP in that config file. Edit the ovpn file to replace the IP with your DDNS name, then re-import the file on your clients.

Check what's in your .ovpn file. If the DDNS is handled by the NAS, then the router doesn't know about it, so it will use the WAN IP in that config file. Edit the ovpn file to replace the IP with your DDNS name, then re-import the file on your clients.

Again, many thanks. I never looked inside the .ovpn file. It's easy when I learn how it works!!!

Al

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!