What's new

OpenVPN noob question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

htismaqe

Very Senior Member
I got OpenVPN setup and everything is working. I have the client currently running on iOS.

What I'm wondering is if there's a way to have the VPN connect to my router any time the local network is not available. I would imagine this could be done on a workstation using some scripting but iOS is a lot less configurable in that respect.

Obviously I don't want the VPN to be connected while I'm on my internal WLAN and it doesn't work anyway. But I also want to be able to receive notifications from smart home security devices and I won't get them if I forget to fire up a VPN tunnel when I'm away from home.

What I'm wondering is if there's a way to have the VPN connect to my router any time the local network is not available.

Looks like there is an iOS app configurable for own VPN servers:
App Store -> search for Passepartout - OpenVPN Client
More information - https://passepartoutvpn.app/

I had no time to test it personally, but people say it works well.

Looks like there is an iOS app configurable for own VPN servers:
App Store -> search for Passepartout - OpenVPN Client
More information - https://passepartoutvpn.app/

I had no time to test it personally, but people say it works well.
Simple setup, just import the OVPN file exported from the router. Easier than the OpenVPN app to import, I'll likely spend the $6.00 USD tomorrow to have it auto connect when I leave home and disconnect when on my home network. I'll test on a couple public WiFi networks first.

FYI, if you only want the functionality I want, it's $1.99 USD. The $6.99 option enables Siri stuff and several hosted VPN providers.

I got OpenVPN setup and everything is working. I have the client currently running on iOS.

What I'm wondering is if there's a way to have the VPN connect to my router any time the local network is not available. I would imagine this could be done on a workstation using some scripting but iOS is a lot less configurable in that respect.

Obviously I don't want the VPN to be connected while I'm on my internal WLAN and it doesn't work anyway. But I also want to be able to receive notifications from smart home security devices and I won't get them if I forget to fire up a VPN tunnel when I'm away from home.

Under settings toggle the setting “Connect Via” to “Cellular only”. Doing this will auto-disconnect the VPN once you are in Wi-Fi range and reconnect whenever you leave.

No need to use a paid app at all.

Under settings toggle the setting “Connect Via” to “Cellular only”. Doing this will auto-disconnect the VPN once you are in Wi-Fi range and reconnect whenever you leave.

No need to use a paid app at all.

What if I want it to only ignore my WIFI. Does it have the ability to trust my network and not trust all other WIFI connections? Because passepartout does this.

What if I want it to only ignore my WIFI. Does it have the ability to trust my network and not trust all other WIFI connections? Because passepartout does this.

Technically speaking if you set it to “Any Network” it should have this effect as its impossible to establish a connection to a network your already connected to.

The weird thing is I can't get the official OpenVPN client to connect with anything other than the default server settings. I can't get Passepartout to connect with the default server settings because it's trying to use SHA1. If I change it to SHA256, Passepartout connects but OpenVPN doesn't.

The weird thing is I can't get the official OpenVPN client to connect with anything other than the default server settings. I can't get Passepartout to connect with the default server settings because it's trying to use SHA1. If I change it to SHA256, Passepartout connects but OpenVPN doesn't.

You can view the logs in the OpenVPN app by pressing the scroll looking icon in the top right corner, that should give you a better idea of what’s going wrong.