What's new

OpenVPN on Orbi for Transmission on Voxel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mith_y2k

Regular Contributor
I was reading yesterday how to configure the openVPN client on my Orbi and how to exclude certain clients. What I am thinking of is almost the opposite, not using the VPN for anything EXCEPT for a specific service on the Orbi. There are a lot of benefits to use a VPN as an anonymizer, but in a home with services like Netflix and Alexa the hassle is actually too much (at least for me and the spare time on my hands).

so I’m wondering if there is an easy way to actually setup openVPN to ONLY route traffic from transmission. Either all traffic from Transmission from all clients or only the one running on Orbi. Either would work for me.

I was reading yesterday how to configure the openVPN client on my Orbi and how to exclude certain clients. What I am thinking of is almost the opposite, not using the VPN for anything EXCEPT for a specific service on the Orbi. There are a lot of benefits to use a VPN as an anonymizer, but in a home with services like Netflix and Alexa the hassle is actually too much (at least for me and the spare time on my hands).

so I’m wondering if there is an easy way to actually setup openVPN to ONLY route traffic from transmission. Either all traffic from Transmission from all clients or only the one running on Orbi. Either would work for me.

It's pretty much the same case as exclusion. Doing it for all Transmission clients wouldn't be easy, but doing it for the Orbi would be. If you point me towards a guide you think looks easy to follow, I'll post a short message on how to do it. I just deployed an old server as my firewall/router, so I no longer have the resources (or time) to write anything from scratch.

@CharlieTX thank you for your reply. Just like you I don’t have a lot of time on my hands, I will look this weekend on a guide to share with you. Really grateful you’re even considering helping me

Ok, I found a couple of topics that seem in line with what I’m trying to do and fairly simple. I’d be looking at adapting to Orbi (make sure equivalent commands are available) and automate at startup.

Here is one: https://askubuntu.com/questions/37412/how-can-i-ensure-transmission-traffic-uses-a-vpn#205510

and a different approach: https://askubuntu.com/questions/583679/transmission-daemon-over-openvpn

in this second thread it’s exactly what I’m looking for and I would add I do not want the Web interface accessible from the outside (WAN).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!