What's new

OpenVPN overseas

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cyclone6

Occasional Visitor
So I have a little problem. I use my cable TV service to watch TV while on the road. But some of the channels will not allow someone to watch live TV unless connected to the local network. So while I was in the States, I set up an OpenVPN server and downloaded the certificate. When I was out of the house, all I had to do was start an OpenVPN connection into my RT-N66U and the "not on local network" restriction was gone.

Now I'm sitting here in Thailand, and the exact same procedure does not work. When I do a "whats my ip address" it still shows me as being located in Thailand. (When I use Private Internet Access, it shows my current location as being wherever I logged into. But of course, thats not my home network for my cable TV provider's purposes).

Is there something simple I'm missing? I don't understand why this would work while in the US but not here in Asia. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks...

You are following long procedure just download Ivacy VPN and use ip's related to which region's content you want to access. You can have this VPN here.
https://www.ivacy.com/buy-vpn/

In order to watch my ISP's content you need to be connected to the IP of your router not just any ISP in the same area or country. Hence the OPs need to use a VPN server.

Personally I use a SlingBox to avoid problems watching my local video out of the home.

So I have a little problem. I use my cable TV service to watch TV while on the road. But some of the channels will not allow someone to watch live TV unless connected to the local network. So while I was in the States, I set up an OpenVPN server and downloaded the certificate. When I was out of the house, all I had to do was start an OpenVPN connection into my RT-N66U and the "not on local network" restriction was gone.

Now I'm sitting here in Thailand, and the exact same procedure does not work. When I do a "whats my ip address" it still shows me as being located in Thailand. (When I use Private Internet Access, it shows my current location as being wherever I logged into. But of course, thats not my home network for my cable TV provider's purposes).

Is there something simple I'm missing? I don't understand why this would work while in the US but not here in Asia. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks...
See this
https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?t=21476

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Are you sure you are making a successful connection to your home network?

Does your home of a static or dynamic IP address. If dynamic, then you will need to set up DDNS on the router or perhaps a Host Name service and there are free ones. Then, in the ovpn client config file, the remote will read
remote myhostname.service.com

rather than
remote xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (The IP of your WAN connection)

I used these instructions when setting up OpenVPN server.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/h...with-asus-routers-380-68-updated-08-24.33638/

Something similar happened to me when trying to view my IP cams over OpenVPN away from my local network. It worked a treat in the UK, not in Spain. By sheer coincidence, none of the UK remote networks were using my local IP address range, the single Spanish remote network was using exactly the same IP address range. Short term fix was to persuade the Spanish network owner to change IP address range, long term fix will be to change my local IP address range to something unusual.