1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

OpenVPN Problem Inactivity Timeout

Discussion in 'VPN' started by mafiaboy01, Oct 21, 2018.

1. mafiaboy01

mafiaboy01 Occasional Visitor

I'm trying to connect a computer to my Asus ac87 using OpenVPN but running into some issues. One of my computers keeps disconnecting form the VPN connection giving me error:

Inactivity timeout (--ping-restart), restarting

It'll connected for about 30 seconds and during this time I have no issues communicating across the network. Then the connecting breaks at that error message shows up in the log. I'm able to ping the server the entire time this is happening so I don't understand how its timing out.

I've tested on another computer on the same network and it has no issues keeping a connection with the same settings.

Client settings

Code:
    client
    dev tap
    # Windows needs the TAP-Win32 adapter name
    # from the Network Connections panel
    # if you have more than one.  On XP SP2,
    # you may need to disable the firewall
    # for the TAP adapter.
    ;dev-node MyTap
    proto udp
    remote xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 1194
    float
    cipher AES-128-CBC
    auth SHA1
    comp-lzo adaptive
    keepalive 10 120
    auth-user-pass
    remote-cert-tls server
    <ca>
    -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
    XXXXXX
    -----END CERTIFICATE-----
    </ca>
    resolv-retry infinite
    nobind
    verb 3
    The computer is running Windows Server 2012R2, I've tried turning the firewall on and off but nothing seems to make any difference.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!